Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans trouble

Old 09-03-2011, 09:40 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Trans trouble

So I went to the track a few weeks ago and I blew my rear, sticky tires plus cam stall and gears. Anyway, fixed all that, but on the initial drive home their seemed to be trans trouble. Like a pressure problem. I noticed it was leaking fluid and their was a trail coming from the passenger side of the car. When I crawled underneath I was expecting to see the trans lines busted or something instead the seal around the tail shaft was leaking a bit. Any body ever run into this sort of thing? I'll be dropping the trans pan today, noticed alittle dark line in the fluid, think might be from the clutch packs when it was slipping. Also the trans is an FLT level 4 stuffed with an SS4000.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dropping the pan to do a visual inspection is not a bad idea to see the condition of the clutches and also what debris are in the pan. However when you break a rear end the input sprag and the low roller usually take a pretty good hit. This you will not see without taking the trans apart. As far as your leak I would probably be looking at the extension housing to see if it is cracked. Or take a look at the servo on the side of the trans to see if the housing cracked. HTH Vince
Old 09-03-2011, 11:11 AM
12 Second Club

Well that sucks. I'll take a look when I drop the pan and go ahead and replace that seal and see where I'm at I guess
Old 09-03-2011, 11:13 AM
12 Second Club

I couldn't see any other fluid leaking. The bellhousing still looked clean like the day I put the trans in. I'll know more after I drop the pan I guess
Old 09-03-2011, 07:23 PM
12 Second Club

Update, dropped pan, every think looked good with a visual inspection. Standard micro metal shavings on magnet. Fluid looked good just like it needed to be changed. Cleaned out the pan. From what I could tell the internals showing looked freaking brand new like a nice FLT. Tomorrow I'll remove the tails art seal and replace that and fill her up with fluid and go from their.

Search this Thread