See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

Trans flush? or Trans fluid swap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 11:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans flush? or Trans fluid swap?

My car has just passed 67,000 miles, and is over 10 years old now, probably with the same fluid it had in it as it rolled off the assembly line. I'm concerned the fluid may need changing, even though the owner's manual says to do it at 100,000 miles.

A friend of mine tells me that a transmission fluid flush is a terrible idea, and guarantees that within 30,000 miles the transmission will break down on me. He gave me multiple reasons why, but I can't recall exactly what he said. Basically he said, if it's over 60,000 miles and has never had the fluid changed before, it's too late. Just leave it in there.

Is this true? Or is a trans fluid flush safe? Or should I just swap out the fluid without doing the flush? Any insight? Ideas? Thanks.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:06 AM
11 Second Club

The only two ways of exchanging the fluid is by flushing with a machine, or by draining and refilling a few times to get most of the old fluid out. The part that sucks about just dropping the pan and adding new is that there is still a considerable amount of fluid left in the lines and a lot left in the converter. Guys will drain the fluid 2-3 times from the pan and refill in attempt to get as much of the old fluid out as they can.

The other way is flushing. I've seen this done in two different ways. One way is to take the cooler lines and hook them up to the machine. It works like a dialysis machine in that you start the car and the pump moves the old fluid out one line into the machine, then the machine pushes new fluid into the line that goes back into the tranny at the same time. This will get all of the old fluid out as the pump is moving all of the fluid through. The other way I've seen a "flush" was when I worked at Jiffy Lube (fail) and they used to run a tube down the dipstick and it would suck fluid out and add new fluid at certain intervals. While I have seen dark fluid be replaced with good-looking fluid using this method, I just can't believe that it really does that great of a job.

I'm sure a bunch of people will chime in from both sides of the battle and say why it is/isn't the best idea. Personally I think flushing is better, but that's just me. Either way, I would at least change the fluid out by dropping the pan. If you wanted to make life easier you could buy a drain plug kit and put it in your pan, or better yet go buy a pan with a drain plug so it's not a pain in the *** to drain the fluid in the future. I would definitely not just leave the old fluid in there. I would say next to engine oil tranny fluid is the most important to watch and change. That's just my opinion though. Hope this helps.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:50 AM
Banned

I would like to get a trans fluid flush. 67,000 miles really isn't that many, but it is probably due for a change. Only thing I want to make sure of is that I sign no waiver when getting this done, allowing them to be off the hook if anything breaks from this. I will have to read everything carefully.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

id just have it changed for now.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:21 PM
TECH Resident

I'd stay away from doing power flushes . Id change it drive for 6months then change it again. Hows your trans driving now? If its fine Id just do a fluild and filter change, if its not, no flush will improve whats going on.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:37 PM
Banned

Tranny is strong right now. No slippage at all. I think I will just do a fluid swap. People tell me this doesn't get all the old fluid out, as some is stuck in the torque converter. But I figure, some new fluid is better than no new fluid.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Basic maintenance: Drop the pan and fluid and filter swap. Nothing wrong with the old fashioned way when A. It works and B. The transmission was designed with this service in mind.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:17 AM
Banned

Cool, I like that advice.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Basic maintenance: Drop the pan and fluid and filter swap. Nothing wrong with the old fashioned way when A. It works and B. The transmission was designed with this service in mind.
exactly my thought
Old 08-25-2011, 03:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had mine flushed after putting bad-news Trick Shift
fluid in it, ruining the TCI clutches. No ill effects from
that, but the slip only improved a bit. Drove it for a
year or more with just trans tune mods to help the
slip, changed converters maybe 5 or more back,
now it's up to about 45K and still fine.

Question is, what is the fluid that's replacing the old
and can the Mr-Lub-E "technician" keep from getting
dirt in the lines?

Personally I say get a pan with a drain plug and just
change and rechange it a couple of times until it has
no smell and no cloudiness (w/ fresh filter).
Old 08-25-2011, 04:34 PM
Tire Smoking Tranny Blowing Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everytime I had a trans power flushed the trans died a couple months down the road.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

Change the filter and fluid and be done with it. Flushing most likely isn't needed. However, if it makes you sleep better at night, it's your $$. Kinda like those who feel better with synthetics in the differential or who use royal purple religiously. To each his own
Old 08-25-2011, 04:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4

This.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You could do this if you're up to it: https://ls1tech.com/forums/4150471-post10.html
Old 08-25-2011, 10:28 PM
Staging Lane

just change the filter and fluid gets my vote i dont trust that machine at jerky lube. it forces the fluid backwards through the system and the fill it back up with bulk tank of trans fluid.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Cool28
Everytime I had a trans power flushed the trans died a couple months down the road.
Cool28, I do fluid swaps using a TransTech flush machine, but I never add the flush fluid because I've been told that there are some products on the market that will cause delamination of the clutch packs. I've never had a transmission go bad or start slipping after a fluid swap. Hope this helps.

Lynn
Old 09-03-2011, 09:36 PM
TECH Resident

I was thinking this myself. Thanks for asking

Quick Reply: Trans flush? or Trans fluid swap?