Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L65E Rebuild DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L65E Rebuild DIY?

Ok guys...I've been back and forth with this for awhile and need some opinions ONLY FROM PEOPLE THAT DONE IT...ESPECIALLY FIRST TIMERS....I've done a lot of car work myself and prefer it that way so I'm not a noobie but haven't done nothin as extreme as a transmission rebuild..I have the how to rebuild a 4l60 transmission video and every time I watch it I get pumped up to do it but then I watch it again and be like screw this lol....so can anyone give me there opionion if it's worth it to dive in from those who have done it...my impression of it is that it's more time consuming than hard to do??

By the way I have the 4L65E don't kno if that makes the rebuild easier or harder from what I've seen with the 4L60e
Old 09-07-2011, 09:04 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...up-photos.html Stickies are your friend check this out and make your own decision. It is not as overwhelming as many people make it out to be just be orginized and clean this is most important!! Most speical tools you can fabricate yourslef except for seal tools which are expensive for a one time thing and they are not as readily avalible to rent just some things to keep in mind. I believe the major differece from the 4l60e and 4l65e are the planetary and some beeifer parts like shafts parts will interchange between 60e and 65e. Hope this helps!
Old 09-09-2011, 04:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have my 4l65e in pieces at the moment to replace a broken input drum. I have never been into a 4l65e before, but I have been into TH350's, TH400's and 200-4R's. So far it hasn't been bad at all.

Like nncfan8 says, you can make some tools. I made a spring compressor for the input clutch and rear clutch using threaded rod and some band iron from home depot. I also made a trans mounting fixture for my engine stand. For the teflon seals, you can take the parts to a trans shop and have them installed/resized inexpensively. You will definitely need LOCK ring pliers. Snap-On PR15 is less than $30. Lisle brand is about half that. Get both of the ATSG manuals too. ~$50 for both. Torx PLUS 50 bit for the bellhousing bolts. To align the pump halves, you can set the pump upside down in the case, no need to buy a $50 oversize hose clamp. Use threaded bolts, tapered on the end to extract plugs, capsules and smaller seals.

IMO...almost as important as organization and cleanliness...take your time and check everything twice (or more).

Last edited by GNXClone; 09-09-2011 at 04:37 PM. Reason: added more

Quick Reply: 4L65E Rebuild DIY?