Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advance Auto trans filter/pan gasket question

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Advance Auto trans filter/pan gasket question

Bought a filter kit from Advance today and the guy at the counter told me that the gasket in the kit is crap and I should try to re-use the factory one instead.

Thoughts or experience?
Old 09-08-2011, 10:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Did it come with a rubber or cork gasket? From what i know cork gaskets are crap. The only one I ever used was BS. However, I probably over-tightened it. They require minimal torque. Rubber doesn't require much torque either. I would say torque them based on the spec on the box and not a penny more. I prefer the rubber ones BTW.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He would be correct. They are garbage and tend to crack then leak if you tighten them too much. Of course, if you don't tighten them enough, then it leaks anyways so it's a Catch-22.

I think it is around $30 for an AC delco filter and gasket and the gasket is much better.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The guy is correct if you have a reusable gasket ''the steel/rubber one'' that cruses together.. if not, you should never reuse a rubber or cork trans pan gasket, well no gasket IMO. The Pro King trans filter kit AA sells comes with a Rubber pan gasket. If you do the install clean and correct, and tq the bolts correctly, you will be fine. Last trans i had i ran 30k+ miles on mine without any leaks before it came out.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:10 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cork gaskets are just fine guys, they have been around forever... and will continue to be around forever. The reason you have leaks is because nobody has ever taught you how to install one I bet.

All you have to do is start out with a clean and dry gasket surface, use no silicone, no adhesives at all. Install the bolts finger tight. Then torque them to 90-100 inlb and it will not leak.

Piece of cake!

g

Quick Reply: Advance Auto trans filter/pan gasket question