Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My trans "clicks" while driving in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My trans "clicks" while driving in reverse

First, Howdy. I like the forum. Vehicle background: Jeep YJ that I built and plunked in a mild chevy 350 mated to a TH400 auto trans, with a NP241 transfer case. I built all three and have been running great save for one thing...my transmission will click relative to speed while in reverse. If I just idle backward, or say 8mph or less nothing will be heard. but if I jump on the skinny pedal at all the trans will "click" or tick with the sound matching the revolutions. Everything in the trans is new (TCI components from jegs). I upgraded the plastic accumulator/servo to an aluminum one. all new clutches and plates. new Gov, basically everything that wears inside the trans...Master overhaul kit, with a shift improver kit. The only thing I didnt touch that I should have is the reverse band clamp.<- dumb move I know but when i bought everything for engine/trans/and transfer case I forgot just about the ONLY 30 dollar or less item. So what do you think causes the clicking sound? Oh I also had a custom th400-to th350 output shaft made to link up to the transfer case. Thanks for any input.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:21 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like maybe the parking pawl is catching. If it fully engages, it can crack the case. Check your shift linkage.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:04 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

About all you can do is to put it on jack stands and have someone run it at idle to verify that the noise is coming from inside the transmission. If so, remove the pan and as slow67 stated, inspect the parking pawl mechanism. It's possible that the return spring is not properly seated. It may be that the internal linkage is not installed on the manual valve lever properly.

Check that and get back to us...

g
Old 09-27-2011, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, thanks a bunch...and you guys must have seen the future. about a day ago my jeep was running rough as hell. So, I was under the truck lookin stuff over and I have a complete radial running crack from passenger side inspection cover bolt hole, to driver side lower inspection bolt hole. In other words my bell housing has basically sheared itself from the rest of the trans case. OUCH! although, the park pawl problem I think would crack the case by the pawl itself,but at any rate I have a spare case so I,m about to gut swap the trans into the spare case...now, what should I look for with the pawl when building up the new case? By the way, I think what killed the case was I spun my rear drive shaft right out of my rear axle, and the shaft swung up to the jeep tub before I could slam the trans into neutral. I have driven the truck since this wheeling incident, so I know the internals of the trans are good. Testement to the stout engineering of this trans! But my degree angle out the tail end of the trans has dropped down due to the cracked bellhousing...causing the rough shaking feel. I'm suprised I have not had to scrape my engine or trans off the ground due to this breakage...

Quick Reply: My trans "clicks" while driving in reverse