Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converter Shaking - Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 06:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Converter Shaking - Help

I just had a new converter installed (Yank SS3800E). This is the first time I've driven a high stall converter so I'm trying to get used to it. Everything seems fine except when I'm cruising on the highway around 60mph and then I give it enough gas to downshift and the car starts shaking. It feels like it's coming from the transmission (converter). I don't know but this doesn't seem normal to me.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thx,
Creed
Old 03-27-2005, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well i am having somewhat of a related problem.. when i a coasting at 40 my car starts shaking front to back until it downshifts.. on at the 40 mph downshift.. maybe its a bad torque converter or the PO751 code i am getting.. could be a solenoid makin it happen for me... hopefully not the torque converter.. anybody have ideas? help us
Old 03-27-2005, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

My problem only happens when I'm cruising in 4th w/ the converter locked and begin to accelerate, but not enough acceleration to downshift. Then it starts to shake. The shop that put the converter in for me is absolutely worthless and made excuses instead of fixing the problem. They've changed ownership since it was installed. I haven't been in a hurry to get it fixed lately, since I've learned to drive the car without making it shake, but I plan on doing more work to it in the next few months and plan on diagnosing the source of the problem then. If you find your solution before I do, please post it up.

Thanks,

Creed
Old 03-27-2005, 08:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Creed
My problem only happens when I'm cruising in 4th w/ the converter locked and begin to accelerate, but not enough acceleration to downshift. Then it starts to shake. The shop that put the converter in for me is absolutely worthless and made excuses instead of fixing the problem. They've changed ownership since it was installed. I haven't been in a hurry to get it fixed lately, since I've learned to drive the car without making it shake, but I plan on doing more work to it in the next few months and plan on diagnosing the source of the problem then. If you find your solution before I do, please post it up.

Thanks,

Creed
I have a similar problem and I dont think its the converter itself.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:37 PM
Launching!

I'm no expert but I'll offer an opinion that it sounds like tuning issues to me. Almost like you need to tune to have your converter unlock earlier.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 0rion
I'm no expert but I'll offer an opinion that it sounds like tuning issues to me. Almost like you need to tune to have your converter unlock earlier.
I'm pretty sure thats my problem entirely. Locking up at too low a speed
Old 03-27-2005, 09:53 PM
Launching!

HMMM...My car does the same thing around 40 mph with my new vig 3200. Just got it installed this past Friday. Do you guys really think it is a tuning issue or something that is normal with high stall converters?
Old 03-27-2005, 10:18 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

If it happens when you're locked up and accelerating from low rpm's without downshifting, it sounds like TC clutch chatter to me. The engine in effect is bogging against the locked-up clutch causing it to slip - the A4 equivalent of an M6 bucking at low rpm.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i don't think it has to do with the tuning.. because it did it before i got my tune.. i think it may be something that the converter is doing.. i have gotten a shift solenoid engine code so it could be messing with those and making the tranny run weird.. i dont know..
Old 03-28-2005, 01:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Setting the lock up points to a higher mile per hour stops the bucking issue. You should also cancel out 3rd gear lock up. I set the lock up on my 3800 stall to 60mph in 4th and that works good. If you bog the car in 4th at low rpms when hitting the gas it sounds like your clutch is locking and unlocking or slipping. If you you haven't desensitized the misfire table the lock up can act wierd.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:41 AM
10 Second Club

I just got my tune tweaked up for my SS3200 & posted it on Horist's website. So if you have HP Tuner you can go download it & quite possibly eliminate your problems. We worked a LONG time on getting mine to shift right & have the converter lock & unlock at the right times for normal driving. We also set up the tune with drag racing in mind, so be aware of that. (like the vert is locked during shifts etc)

Anyway, there are tables that contorl your shift points, and tables that control where your converter locks in each gear. We fine tuned mine to get rid of most of the issues. (I'd say maybe ALL of them, but I've only driven it for 2 days)

Note - If you step on the brake slightly while this issue of yours is occuring, you force the conv to unlock. I found that to be a good troubleshooting tool. It takes the PCM out of the picture so that all you are dealing with is the mechanical parts.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RevGTO
If it happens when you're locked up and accelerating from low rpm's without downshifting, it sounds like TC clutch chatter to me. The engine in effect is bogging against the locked-up clutch causing it to slip - the A4 equivalent of an M6 bucking at low rpm.
If these are the conditions, I agree with the diagnois.

If line pressure is low, tuning can help. Otherwise, you can have it unlock at a lower TPS. I would not cancel 3rd gear lock-up nor should you have a problem locking the converter in 4th between 40mph - 50 mph (50 mph for 2.73s).

If the converter is new, be sure the company you purchased it from knows about it. It may be the clutch is the issue and not your tuning, especially if it is occuring at very light throttle and your line pressure is fine.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

I noticed alot of vibration on my TCI SSF3500 when I installed it. What I also installed at the same time was a Spohn Adjustable TA. This is a much sturdier piece and connects to the transmission tailshaft. My vibration would go away after TCC lockup. What made a huge difference was putting the stock transmission crossmember mount back in and loosing the poly one.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
I just got my tune tweaked up for my SS3200 & posted it on Horist's website. So if you have HP Tuner you can go download it & quite possibly eliminate your problems. We worked a LONG time on getting mine to shift right & have the converter lock & unlock at the right times for normal driving. We also set up the tune with drag racing in mind, so be aware of that. (like the vert is locked during shifts etc)
Where's Horist's website?????
Old 03-28-2005, 09:47 PM
Launching!

Hey nite, the web site is http://www.horist.com/hptuner/

Hope this helps.