Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e and ls1 going into a 68 camaro - have a trans question

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60e and ls1 going into a 68 camaro - have a trans question

please see pics at bottom
My shifter setup - appearing to come from the donor car is somehow backwards to what I am thinking. was told the shifter setup was from same car.
Under the car is the bracket that holds the shifter linkage. In front of that the linkage and it hangs down and goes in park when pushed to the front. Maybe this bar is mounted upside down? because the shifter he sent is in the shortest position when in park. not lengthened. Donor car was a 99 camaro. Does anyone have a pic of how the shifter bar should be installed. or any guidance. The bar is in front of the cable mount plate and is mounted with the nipple facing out and at the bottom. Been scratching my head for a while and really want to finish the project. If anything - the car deserves to be on the road again. Or am i wrong in thinking that the shifter at the trans turned fully clockwise is in park, counter clockwise would run through the gears r-n-d-l.....

Last edited by king-kong; 10-16-2011 at 10:43 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-15-2011, 03:44 PM

anyone? Perhaps a drivers side pic of the trans with the linkage attached???

I did find one pic with linkage attached and seems normal, - AM I WRONG in thinking park is in the most forward position?? Turning clockwise??

All other positons allow me to spin the yoke except for the most forward position - where it locks as if in park. Problem is the matching shifter from donor car is fully retracted in the park position and fully extended in the lowest gear. HELP ME

Last edited by king-kong; 10-15-2011 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:39 PM

here are two pics. One from in park with end of cable curved up to get in pic. And one in low with cable fully extended.

I am scratching my head on this one. I was told I need a diff one but this is from the same car as tranny.

PLease someone help me here,
Attached Thumbnails 4l60e and ls1 going into a 68 camaro - have a trans question-100_3800.jpg   4l60e and ls1 going into a 68 camaro - have a trans question-100_3798.jpg  
Old 10-16-2011, 10:42 PM

hope this helps a bit. extended cable should be park position.
Attached Thumbnails 4l60e and ls1 going into a 68 camaro - have a trans question-shiftlinkage.jpg  
Old 10-16-2011, 11:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

The cable I'm pretty sure exits to the rear of the shifter, the curls around making a u turn and mounts to the pan bolts on the driver's side. There are two longer pan bolts that are meant to hang this bracket, and yes it goes what appears to be upside down.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:45 PM

I think I have it figured out. someone mounted the shifter assy backwards on the cut out tunnel. It can be seen by the contour of the shifter and how it should orient, the u clip holding the shifter **** should also be on the back side so you cannot see it while driving. So part is correct but the way it was mounted was wrong. Thank you

Quick Reply: 4l60e and ls1 going into a 68 camaro - have a trans question