Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confused on torque converter spacing/discoloration

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 08:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Confused on torque converter spacing/discoloration

I have been having a strange vibration under light throttle (probably around 5-10%) just before the torque converter engage/disengages. It is most noticeable when I am on the freeway with cruise control on and go down an overpass. Equally, if not more, concerning to me is how the torque converter randomly unlocked while cruising. It has done that before (maybe once every few months), but the past two days it has unlocked 5 times on me, each when cruising on the highway. It will re-engage after about 70 seconds of driving (yes, I timed it...). Some of it sounds similar to the problem recently posted by Ls2SilverBullet, and transam posted some great info in another thread.

Originally Posted by transsam
There is an access panel about 3" in diameter that pops off with a screwdriver. Pop it off and shine a flashlight between the flexplate and the converter (the front cover of the converter). If it is discolored compared to the rest of the converter, then it is trouble - trouble enough to take the transmission with it potentially. If it looks fine, then you need to address pressure or tuning.

What I'm confused on is what he means by the discoloration of the front cover of the converter. Is this what he's talking about???

Also, since I snapped the pics, what is this square hole for? I tried to look through it to see the gap between the flexplate and the engine, but I couldn't make anything out. This isn't what's used to measure the 1/8 - 3/16 gap is it???
Old 10-28-2011, 10:45 PM
Launching!

I almost forgot: the tranny fluid looks normal and it doesn't smell "burnt."
Old 11-01-2011, 09:44 AM
Launching!

No responses to my dumb questions??

Quick Reply: Confused on torque converter spacing/discoloration