Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuild, Replace, or Ride Out???

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 02:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rebuild, Replace, or Ride Out???

Let me start off by admitting that I know little information about what goes on inside a transmission. I have seen the piles of parts that come out of one on a workbench and have decided to leave all tranny work to the pros. With that said, I pulled my engine and tranny (LT1 and 4L60E) at 147k miles to finish painting the engine bay. No issues with either one. Now I'm in the middle of doing a 355 LE2 build that I plan on spraying with nitrous sometime down the road. I have also already decided to run a Yank SS3600 stall.

Now on to the questions: Do you think this transmission will hold up to the motor and stall? Would a basic rebuild and/or shift kit prolong the life of this unit? What are other people with similar builds running? What would it cost to rebuild? What would it cost to replace?

Basically I'm looking for the most bang for my buck. Transmission doesn't need to be bulletproof, just dependable. Don't know if I should rebuild it, turn it in for core, or just run it as is. Experienced input would be greatly appreciated.

:end novel:
Old 11-01-2011, 08:31 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd run it till it fails then turn it in as a core on a built trans. The stock transmissions in most of the LT1 cars I built years ago didn't last very long. I'd do a heads/cam package and full bolt-ons and the trans would last for about 3-4 months and it would lose the 3/4 clutches.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:02 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CS Vette
Now on to the questions: Do you think this transmission will hold up to the motor and stall? Would a basic rebuild and/or shift kit prolong the life of this unit? What are other people with similar builds running? What would it cost to rebuild? What would it cost to replace?

Basically I'm looking for the most bang for my buck. Transmission doesn't need to be bulletproof, just dependable. Don't know if I should rebuild it, turn it in for core, or just run it as is. Experienced input would be greatly appreciated.

:end novel:
To answer your questions directly... no I do not think it will last long behind an upgraded powerplant.

Yes a basic rebuild will prolong the inevitable.

I can't speak for what other folks are running, but I can speak to the idea that I don't think you need a gorilla for a transmission in that rig. I would think that it would be a fun car to drive, and would not be asked for maximum effort every time it's taken out. So, I believe a very nice mid level build with custom hydraulic mods, a sleeved drum and related parts, without hard parts upgrades is what you're after for a long term solid combination that will be a lot of fun and trouble free.

Typically the unit I described would run a guy somewhere around $1,800 to $2,000 depending on the options chosen. Most builders will make those recommendations once they've spoken to you and understand your specific goals and budget vs expectation level.

Now, all of that being said... if you don't mind digging the tranny out down the road then heck yeah bolt it up and let it eat! Just know that if you go that route then you'll need to have your converter freshened up as most shops will not warranty their transmission without proof of a nice clean converter up front.

g
Old 11-01-2011, 09:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input fellas. Might just clean the 17 years of grime off of it and put it back in. Throw some basic seals and a filter at it with some fresh fluid and cross my fingers for the mean time. I don't plan on beating the hell out of it just want a solid street car. Maybe I was thinking a functional core would be worth more than a broken core. I dunno.

Any quick "freshen up" kits you guys recommend for one of these? Similar to a ring and gasket kit for an engine. Or should I just search through a mail order site and see what comes up?
Old 11-02-2011, 09:08 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well it's a little more involved than that. There are several special tools required to disassemble and reassemble an automatic. In my opinion, if you have to ask then it's probably not a good idea for you to tackle it.

You might just want to consider getting on Craigslist and finding a local shop that builds inexpensive units similar to yours and go with that until you decide to beef it up. I don't usually make that recommendation, but you seem like the sort of guy who knows what he's getting himself into.

When you get ready to build something that needs to take some power and have higher expectations... then give me or one of the other sponsors a call. There aren't too many shops out there that can keep a 60e alive in harsh combinations, but for the most part the shops represented here do a good job at that.

Good luck with it!

g