Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential problem controlling 4L80e from 4L60e control pgm

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 01:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Potential problem controlling 4L80e from 4L60e control pgm

I recently built an adapter to run my 4L80e from the stock T42 controller in my '06 GTO, with the 4L60e control program loaded. (ie: used a relay to invert shift-b signal, decoy 3-2 solenoid installed to squelch DTC, TCC enable and PWM combined via another relay).

It seems to be working quite well. It shifts when I want it to, the TCC locks up when cruising, and it doesn't feel like it's slipping at all.

However, I ran across a piece of information which has me wondering if this is really optimal, versus loading an actual 4L80e control program into the T42.

This is from the MegaShift site: http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/index.html

There is an early and a late models of the 4L80E transmission. The difference is the pressure control solenoid (aka. "force motor") changed from 293Hz to 614Hz (at the beginning of the 1994 model year), and there was no no dither requirement (and the case connector may have changed).
I definitely have a later model 4L80e. Could feeding the wrong PWM frequency to the force motor screw things up? At a minimum, could the commanded pressures be way off? I don't currently have a pressure gauge that reads high enough to check this out myself.

Anyone with experience in the workings of the various force motors, please chime in.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:01 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GNXClone
I recently built an adapter to run my 4L80e from the stock T42 controller in my '06 GTO, with the 4L60e control program loaded. (ie: used a relay to invert shift-b signal, decoy 3-2 solenoid installed to squelch DTC, TCC enable and PWM combined via another relay).

It seems to be working quite well. It shifts when I want it to, the TCC locks up when cruising, and it doesn't feel like it's slipping at all.

However, I ran across a piece of information which has me wondering if this is really optimal, versus loading an actual 4L80e control program into the T42.

This is from the MegaShift site: http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/index.html

I definitely have a later model 4L80e. Could feeding the wrong PWM frequency to the force motor screw things up? At a minimum, could the commanded pressures be way off? I don't currently have a pressure gauge that reads high enough to check this out myself.

Anyone with experience in the workings of the various force motors, please chime in.
The replacement EPC is the same for 93-04 models. However, in 04, they changed force motors (and internal harness). Not sure on the frequency.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The only way to tell is to observe the pressure at the line tap while driving and logging TCM data.

Quick Reply: Potential problem controlling 4L80e from 4L60e control pgm