Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e transgo shift kit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 09:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by exodus_gs1
Whats the big difference between this and the shift improver kit? It comes with all the stuff for the vb and a new spring and spacers. Doesn't the hd2 have the same stuff plus a few other pieces to strengthen the trans? Jw I i just bought the improver kit and im installing it Tom... Thanks
check out transgos website they have good descriptions on their website
Old 12-31-2011, 09:09 AM

Received 390 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by gofasterdammit
hope this is what your looking for guys. the trans go kits are the better kits out there meaning they are more detailed and give a better product when installed. almost all of the parts can be installed with the trans still in the car. the springs that you would need to remove the transmission for are not necassary unless you are building a high rpm car. the high rev pump spring is used to keep the slide that the pump gears ride against stable at high rpm. like 7000rpms. drag race stuff not dd cars like most of us have. also you need to pull the tranny to get the servo out unless you destroy the floor of your car to get it out. bad idea. and yes the lt1 and ls1 cars both came with vette servos and are great. the billets are good but once again not a must. there are also some good things that dont come in a shift kit you should look into. Sonnax sells pinless accumulator pistons that are cheap and help performance. stock pistons wear out in the pin bores and cause sloppy slow shifts regardless of what springs you put behind them. also they sell a servo release valve that is a fix for a common problem we all have had. that 2-3 flare under wide open throttle. most tuners will adjust pressure to fix that also but thats not the right way to do it. pressure cannot bleed of fast enough to release the band and it drags. adjusting pressure only applys the clutchs faster to mask the real problem. i hope this helps a bit.
Yes, that helps more than a bit. I have been looking at the Sonax website page for 4l60E parts:

http://www.sonnax.com/product-lines/.../filter?filter[make]=1&filter[unit]=243

Could you please give us a link to your recommended "servo release valve". Thanks.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:36 AM
Staging Lane

Default found it

Originally Posted by mrvedit
Yes, that helps more than a bit. I have been looking at the Sonax website page for 4l60E parts:

http://www.sonnax.com/product-lines/.../filter?filter[make]=1&filter[unit]=243

Could you please give us a link to your recommended "servo release valve". Thanks.
they call it a check valve in the parts listing. the part # is 77701-076. also if interested check out the 4l60 hp kit at the bottom of the list. i use it alot in my hp/hd units. it has all the stuff shift kits usually dont come with.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:58 PM

they call it a check valve in the parts listing. the part # is 77701-076. also if interested check out the 4l60 hp kit at the bottom of the list. i use it alot in my hp/hd units. it has all the stuff shift kits usually dont come with.
Thank you. I found reasonable prices on many Sonnax parts here:
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/PinHole.htm

Am I correct that the Sonnax "hp kit" augments the Transgo HD2 kit, perhaps with some overlap, or would you just install the Sonnax kit and skip the Transgo kit?
I plan to immediately order exactly what you recommend and experiment with it.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

i have the sonnax check valve and pinless pistons on all 3 corners
Old 01-01-2012, 12:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mrvedit
Thank you. I found reasonable prices on many Sonnax parts here:
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/PinHole.htm

Am I correct that the Sonnax "hp kit" augments the Transgo HD2 kit, perhaps with some overlap, or would you just install the Sonnax kit and skip the Transgo kit?
I plan to immediately order exactly what you recommend and experiment with it.
they do overlap. the trans go kit is a recalibration kit. sonnax is more of a improvement in engineering. fixing some of gm's mistake's. both kits make for a great unit. no tranny you will be offered on here have both. go for it. you wont be disappointed.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:20 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

The springs that you would need to remove the transmission for are not necassary unless you are building a high rpm car. the high rev pump spring is used to keep the slide that the pump gears ride against stable at high rpm. like 7000rpms. drag race stuff not dd cars like most of us have.
Yes, this is the spring that my installer was referring to (see my earlier post). It is commonly held that the stock 4L60e slide spring was not good for over 6000rpm, hence the benefit of replacing this spring - better hi-rpm oiling.

Last edited by RevGTO; 01-02-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Yes, this is the spring that my installer was referring to (see my earlier post). It is commonly held that the stock 4L60e slide spring was not good for over 6000rpm, hence the benefit of replacing this spring - better hi-rpm oiling.
did some research today and found that the 1995 and up 4l60e has a double pump spring and gm did this to help that problem. the spring in the shift kits wouldnt be needed unless you had a 1994 and older unit.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:09 PM

did some research today and found that the 1995 and up 4l60e has a double pump spring and gm did this to help that problem. the spring in the shift kits wouldnt be needed unless you had a 1994 and older unit.
I have been researching all the Sonnax parts since your recommendations several days ago. I like that the Sonnax website has a good summary and fully instructions for each part. The spring is fully described here:

http://www.sonnax.com/system/announcement/77722-01K.pdf

It claims to be an improvement on even the GM dual-spring. It is also listed for even the 4L65E, which didn't come out until 2002.

----------

Having read the full instructions on the Sonnax kit, I still like the Transgo HD2 kit, especially for its $78 price on Summit. (The Sonnax kit is twice the price.) Since I already have the HD2 kit installed on my 2010 4L65e (with new 2006 valve body), I plan to add the following Sonnax parts:

77701-076 - The 2-3 shift check valve you recommended
77754-41 - An improved 2-3 shift valve (very interesting!)
77722-01K - The high RPM spring
77749-02K - A sun shell with unique thrust bearing

Obviously the later two parts require disassembly of the trans.

IMO it only makes sense to install a (any) shift kit into a new-ish or overhauled transmission. Simply installing it on a well-worn 100,000+ trans is probably not a good idea. Some of the Sonnax parts are to repair worn parts, but that is really just part of the overhaul process.

(I hope no one feels that I am hijacking this thread; I am trying to stay on topic.)
Old 01-05-2012, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

If it helps i have one in my car that was installed when the trans was built. I like it. Sometimes its a little to ruff for stop and go traffic but you get used to it i guess. If you down shift and punch it that bitch grabs and go's. If you are cruising at normal speeds you will know when it shifts. There is NO lag or grandma slip. And i have torgue managment turned ON. Im almost scared to see how it acts in the rain. My transmission is not tuned so i can only imagine how it will be them. My only word of advise is to keep T/C on. LOL. If your going to do it, do it right. Good luck and im sure you will enjoy it.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:43 AM
Launching!

Wow very interesting read, iv been looking at getting rid of my 4l60e trans but might get one of these kits and any other various parts required and have a go at rebuilding it with a shift kit, new stronger clutch packs and anything else required, was going to do just a shift kit and 3500-4000rpm stall, but some of the things mentioned in here sound like what mines still slightly doing even after a rebuild freshen up a couple of years ago when motor was stock.

Rebuilt one at trade school but weren't really shown properly and never wanted to touch an auto after that, but after going to a new dealership were we rebuild gearboxes in house and being sent to a training course were was shown properly i'm more keen to have a go at rebuilding myself.

Would these handle a 600-700 hp motor and the odd 7000-7200rpm shift along with daily driving(would be tuned with motor properly when new engine tuned)? and which kits are best to get?
Old 01-11-2012, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by ausls1
Wow very interesting read...
Would these handle a 600-700 hp motor and the odd 7000-7200rpm shift along with daily driving(would be tuned with motor properly when new engine tuned)? and which kits are best to get?
I noticed some of your other posts in the trans section here. I'm certainly no trans expert but have read hundreds of threads and thousands of posts in various forums.

Some vendors claim to build 600+ HP 4L65E transmissions and the sponsors here probably do use the best parts and techniques possible. But I doubt they would last tens of thousands of miles and hundreds of track runs behind a true 600HP engine with slicks.

Read what one sponsor here promoting 4L80's says on their site:
http://www.jakesperformance.com/4L80E.html

I am considering one of the sponsor's 4L65E for my 500HP LS2, but if I go to any forced induction, I will first switch to a 4L80E.
Again, just my opinion.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:24 PM
Launching!

Yeh fare enough, 4l80e is definatly a big consideration, might see track a couple of times a year, more street driven on weekends. Will keep reading, thinking shift kit and stall plus anything else to hopefully get a couple of extra km's out of the trans while I work out what to do or time to source a 4l80e, can't find any for sale here and when they are there expensive, being a new trans here even though you guys have had them since about 95 from what iv read.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by ausls1
Yeh fare enough, 4l80e is definatly a big consideration, might see track a couple of times a year, more street driven on weekends. Will keep reading, thinking shift kit and stall plus anything else to hopefully get a couple of extra km's out of the trans while I work out what to do or time to source a 4l80e, can't find any for sale here and when they are there expensive, being a new trans here even though you guys have had them since about 95 from what iv read.
I assume you are down-under. Switching to a 4L80E also requires a different torque converter, cross member, shorter driveshaft, different PCM to Trans connector and other details, all which increase the complexity down-under.

If you have a choice of 4L60E, picker a later year, especially 2002 or later. Otherwise a rebuild with an upgraded Sun Shell (e.g. Sonnax or "The Beast") is recommended. GM made quite a few improvements in 2002. A 4L65E is better yet as it has 5-gear planetaries and a stronger 3-4 clutch pack.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:14 PM
Launching!

Oh ok mine might be a bit better then, mines a December 2002 build car so might have the better 4l60e. Here's hoping any way. Yeh found a couple of links for the harness adaptor kits, tweaking the mounts, convertor can get one for it at same time. Going to see how many have done it here and if the runner has done any off these. If I get into racing then is go a power glide. But still a bit of research to do.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:25 PM
Teching In

Default 4l60e line pressure

when tuning the pcm how much line pressure is too much for a 4l60e transmission w/Transgo shift kit, clutches and plates?
CATS program
Old 02-16-2015, 05:01 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts

TransGo calls for 238 psi. with their kit here. So 235 psi. - 245 psi. would be a safe place to be, and not be too hard on parts. If you have installed the Shift kit correctly and the pressures are off, then you need to make an adjustment to the EPC solenoid to get the right pressure you want here. I like mine in this range and I adjust the accumulation, apply servos and separator plate feed hole sizes to "match" what you have as far as torque converter diameter, stall, rear end gear ratio, what has been done to the motor, what rpm for WOT shift points, type of vehicle, vehicle weight, intended use of the vehicle, and how you drive. This way you get the shift firmness matched to how you drive.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:17 AM

As PBA says, the building of the trans determines the max line pressure, in particular the size of the boost valve and any tweaking of the EPC solenoid. The Transgo or Sonnax boost valve will typically give you a min of 75 and a max of 235psi.
In the tune you can set a "pressure value" between 0 and 96. "0" really gives you 75psi and "96" really gives you 235psi.

Last edited by mrvedit; 02-16-2015 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Minor technical correction
Old 02-16-2015, 10:17 PM

A little off topic but I'm rebuilding my 4l60e and I'm using the old bearings I've just switched the tailshaft but I'm about 1/16 of an inch to short to get my snap ring back on any ideas?
Old 02-17-2015, 06:34 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts

Assemble the shaft with everything installed on it out of the transmission and look closely to see if a thrust washer moved or a bearing moved. If you replaced a bushing make sure that it is installed at the right depth so as to not interfere with the splines and is not binding on the shaft.

Quick Reply: 4l60e transgo shift kit?