Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here's an interesting idea. Variable stall.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 10:11 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For now I won't talk much more about it. Too many details need to be addressed, plus it will be proprietary and therefore I need to protect the technology as best I can. Don't mean to tease you, that's not my goal.

But tell me this... specifically what is it you are trying to accomplish? The reason I ask is there are more than a few very damned smart converter builders out there who very much understand their game and push the envelope often.

g
Old 02-07-2012, 10:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wot qualities of the sy3500 (Soft hit, no tire spinning), as well as efficiency (which I imagine can't be kept with the other requirements).
dd qualities of the ss3200 (though I hear the 3600 isn't much different, which is why i use it as an example)
I don't want to rev over 2000 rpm just to get normal acceleration. Medium acceleration I'd prefer as low of an rpm as possible while still retaining snappy response, but it's ok if this range isn't perfect, as long as it's not over 3200. I'll be using 3.23 gears, stock rear (for now) and some sort of street tire. The biggest cam I'm thinking about is a 226/230. I'd actually prefer stock driving manners at low throttle, but know it'd need to be a little looser to make up for that big of a cam (especially if it's on 110 lsa like I'm thinking about). The only thing I don't like about stock low throttle operation is the 1-2 shift jolts noticably, and that'll probably go away with a new converter anyway.

Oh, it'll probably see more roll racing than digs, since the nearest dragstrip is 90 miles away.

Last edited by Mr. Sir; 02-07-2012 at 11:40 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:15 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why run 3.23's? That just seems like you're defeating the purpose of a high performance street machine to me. I would suggest 3.55's or 3.73's. Either set would provide good driveability in your combination but would work the converter a little harder the the stock set.

I don't see you being able to ever get max performance out of any performance converter unless you're at WOT often with stock gears. I would suggest 3.55's and a tighter converter that you could hit with a mild power adder in order to obtain your goals. In the long run it will be much, much less of a headache not to mention the added expense of the R&D for what you're talking about.

Just my .02! Good luck either way ya go!

g
Old 02-08-2012, 12:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gilbert@Ace Racing
Why run 3.23's?
a) not wanting to go over 2000 rpm for normal acceleration
b) final drive ratio. I don't really want over 2000 rpm at 70mph.

But with a planetary gear infront of that converter, the woes of the 3.73 gear are dismissed; countered by the 1.3 planetary (which also counters problem a).

I had thought about 3.73s, but those 2 reasons stopped me. And lead me to the planetary idea, rather than something like a variable pitch stator (though I'd take both if I could).

Quick Reply: Here's an interesting idea. Variable stall.