Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

snap ring came loose in reverse input drum on 4l60e. builders please look

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default snap ring came loose in reverse input drum on 4l60e. builders please look

ive been having an issue that i thought was/is a converter problem so today i pulled the tranny out so i can send the converter off and decided to tear the tranny down to check for any damage. i found the snap ring that holds the apply springs in had come loose on the reverse input drum, and the steels have hot spots.

the problem i have been having is the converter (3800) would not stall up at all. drom a dead stop the car would bogg pop and just act stupid under WOT up until about 3000 then it would act fine. i also had an occasional 3-2 tie up.
i would have to manually shift to 2nd then back to od and it would act fine.

could this be my problem or should i look harder at my converter problem?
Attached Thumbnails snap ring came loose in reverse input drum on 4l60e. builders please look-photo-1-.jpg   snap ring came loose in reverse input drum on 4l60e. builders please look-photo-2-.jpg   snap ring came loose in reverse input drum on 4l60e. builders please look-photo-3-.jpg   snap ring came loose in reverse input drum on 4l60e. builders please look-photo-4-.jpg   snap ring came loose in reverse input drum on 4l60e. builders please look-photo-5-.jpg  

Last edited by 98 4X4 burban; 01-28-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:03 AM
BBA
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98 4X4 burban
ive been having an issue that i thought was/is a converter problem so today i pulled the tranny out so i can send the converter off and decided to tear the tranny down to check for any damage. i found the snap ring that holds the apply springs in had come loose on the reverse input drum, and the steels have hot spots.

the problem i have been having is the converter (3800) would not stall up at all. drom a dead stop the car would bogg pop and just act stupid under WOT up until about 3000 then it would act fine. i also had an occasional 3-2 tie up.
i would have to manually shift to 2nd then back to od and it would act fine.

could this be my problem or should i look harder at my converter problem?

Sounds like you had a torque convert sprag failure. Did you figure out how to make the reverse drum snap ring stay in place?
The following users liked this post:
KoDak (12-29-2021)
Old 07-10-2020, 07:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,243 Likes on 799 Posts

I agree. Converter issue.
Lower than normal stall, but OK performance up top is typical of a sprag failure.

The reverse drum snap ring is an issue that's not super uncommon...especially if you're spinning pretty good rpm.
A tiny tack weld is the sure fix.
If you're uncomfortable with that...you can take a small punch and hammer and raise the 4 "tangs" on the spring retainer. Those tangs keep the snap ring from expanding. So having them taller will help retain the snap ring better.
Also...make sure you don't have the snap ring gap/opening over one of those tangs.
Old 07-11-2020, 11:55 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

Do what is stated above, and make sure that you do not have a restrictor in the bleed hole in the aluminum apply piston. The hole should left alone. If it has a restrictor in it. Make sure you open it up to .076" - .093".

Quick Reply: snap ring came loose in reverse input drum on 4l60e. builders please look