Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broke an Alto Kevlar Wide Band, wth?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 02:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Gilbert@Ace Racing
Quite frankly, a stock corvette servo and an Alto red band will handle anything the rest of the tranny will. There no reason to for the heavy duty servos unless you do not know how to properly manipulate the accumulators and the rest of the hydraulics.

To me they are expensive bling in this application. I would rather spend my clients money on something that will make it live, not beat itself to death.

g
The plastic servos can crack can't they?

The builder advised me of the same thing you said above, but I requested the sonnax 2nd gear servo. I was advised to use a corvette second and a billet 4th gear. But I didn't listen.

Oh well, it was completely rebuilt again for free.. actually less than free. He put in another new set of clutches, a newer pump just for safe measure and gave me a 100 dollar bill for my troubles.

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 03-02-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:05 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you're confused a bit.

There never was a plastic servo in any iteration of the 4L60E.

However, there were many years that the 60E was built with plastic accumulator pistons. And we replace those because they are known to fail causing significant internal pressure leaks.

Hope that clears it up!

g
Old 03-03-2012, 07:50 PM

Received 407 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Gilbert@Ace Racing
However, there were many years that the 60E was built with plastic accumulator pistons. And we replace those because they are known to fail causing significant internal pressure leaks.

Hope that clears it up!

g
Aha. Thanks. I have an assortment of accumulator pistons, both plastic and aluminum. I'll toss the plastic ones. (I also have the pinless ones.)
Old 03-03-2012, 08:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 219 Likes on 179 Posts

pinless accum pistons FTW !!! ( i have them... they seem to work)
Old 03-04-2012, 01:48 AM
FormerVendor

Accumulator pistons without pins are fine. I don't have any reason to second guess them as a good part... however I've never seen a good reason to install them. I've never experienced a problem with a good fitting stock aluminum piston myself.

I've have had plenty units in service for many years that have come back for freshen ups or repairs and have not seen an issue with a well sealed stock aluminum piston. But that's just my opinion. Don't mind someone showing a good reason to use 'em!

g
Old 03-04-2012, 02:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 219 Likes on 179 Posts

i like them because of the double sealing rings...........seems like a win in my book
Old 03-04-2012, 02:22 AM
FormerVendor

I hear ya... nothing wrong with that! I just don't see the value in installing them, never have. And mind you I use dual seal ringed components in other transmissions and have for years. I just don't see a valid reason for spending money on those parts.

To me it's like running chrome valve covers as opposed to painting stock valve covers with a rattle can. Neither set of valve covers will make the car faster nor make it live longer. But, maybe someone can set me straight and maybe I can learn something new!

g

Quick Reply: Broke an Alto Kevlar Wide Band, wth?