Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 04:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Again, apples to oranges. Our application, your application
Old 04-14-2012, 05:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm not acting like they ripped me off I know I have one of the best converters on the market but I wish I knew more about ptc converters before I spent $300 more because I'm on a tight budget. But at the same time I believe in the "you get what you pay for" when it comes to performance parts.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:49 AM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mjs1012
Wish I saw all these responses before I dropped the coin on a yank. Grr what's your stall speed at, it looks like it takes off like a bat outta hell
I really dont know what it stalls at, these PTCs are a bit different.
If I grab the e-brake and push the brakes as hard as I can I can get 5-5200 out of it. If I push on the brakes hard but not as hard as I can it will do 42-4500. If I flash it off idle it will go to about 4, but with street tires I would imagine it would go higher on a slick.

Gotta say it really couples up hard around 4500 and I cant keep the tires on it above that.

The way my car is set up I built it with the 4.10s to be able to launch in 2nd on the track with street tires, even in 2nd I have to mind my foot as it will burn the tires off at around 15mph. Hands down best converter Ive owned and i have had in the past
Vig 3600
PT 4400
SS 3400< I think thats what it was cant really remember
Old 04-14-2012, 11:18 AM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

heres another vid from a week or so ago, same setup. Obviously easing into it, it will stand on the rev limiter if I smash it from a dig

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrMXZ...ure=plpp_video
Old 04-14-2012, 03:47 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by TrikeMike
Man do you LS1tech guys swing on Yanks nuts, how many YANK converters do you see in x275 or ODR? LOL.
I think this is a valid point.

A company that builds converters for THE fastest drag radial cars in the country, builds some killer converters for turbo cars, and is very well respected within the industry and virtually ZERO negative feedback from customers even in this age of the internet HAS to be doing something right.

It is close minded to think that a converter builder who builds converters for 1500+ HP combinations can't handle building one for the average 400-700 HP street/strip combo.

Yank builds a good converter, as do almost all the reputable companies out there, whether they are a sponsor here or not.

There is a lot of myth that is perpetuated online about transmissions and converters. Advertising that turns to supposed "fact" because it is repeated enough times.

Billet covers are great for a fairly stout lockup application, but not necessarily required. Some of the companies that push the billet the hardest, don't even make their own parts, just buy a kit that ANY converter shop can buy and assemble from Sonnax or P.I.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Now, Yank purchases their billet fronts from an outside manufacturer, but they didn't always. Dave himself told me that. He explained why they do this now and it was a very valid reason IMO, so it is nothing to fault them for. I recently recommended a PTC to a buddy and it is doing well so far. But don't use PTC's success as a negative against Yank, which is how some come off. I personally run a Yank and have been pleased with it, and that's why I recommend them.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

iv had a yank for two years and it took all the nitrous passes i could throw at it and then some! I now have a ptc and its took everything i can throw at it also so im pleased with both companys and if i had to pick id probaly go with ptc just bc there closer to me and i could drive there.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:15 AM
TECH Regular

Are the PTC non-billet lockup converters similar to the 4-cyl converters built with an adapter ring? 400 bucks is about my price range and I'd like to try PTC but I need something that will hold up. I don't need billet and my plans are for a mild cam - my car is just a daily driver and I don't really plan on running more than 400 rwhp.

Last edited by wav3form; 04-15-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:59 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by wav3form
Are the PTC non-billet lockup converters similar to the 4-cyl converters built with an adapter ring? 400 bucks is about my price range and I'd like to try PTC but I need something that will hold up. I don't need billet and my plans are for a mild cam - my car is just a daily driver and I don't really plan on running more than 400 rwhp.
Yes in some cases. You would have to call PTC and see what they recommend, they may want to do a 245mm, 10", 11", etc for your combo.

I've said this and I'll say it again here. I am NOT a converter builder, so I don't pretend to know what Chris at Circle-D, Kenny at PTC, or any of the guys that do it for a living know BUT I do have quite a bit of insight into the converter industry being a transmission builder and working with quite a few different converter builders in the industry.

The 245mm converter has become popular due to it's LOW core price and versatility.
It's easily available by the truckload (literally) as cores. Core prices are about $15-30 per unit, and there are quite a few OEM variations. This gives you the ability to build a decent converter using all OEM parts.

You can buy a kit to convert it to a V8 application for a 4L60 or 4L80E for ~$100. This is the "ring" setup everybody here seems to want to talk trash about. It's a viable setup for a non-lockup application for over 700 HP in the hands of the right builder. It can work fine for 450-500 HP as a lockup unit but tuning the converter to only lock under cruise and unlock under throttle is critical.

You can buy a billet front cover for ~$125 for these cores. Possibly less in bulk.

If a guy had the machinery (very expensive), there is a chart that tells you what parts to match up to make a certain stall at a certain power, etc. Torque converters for Dummies.

The companies that have been at it for awhile have MUCH more data to go by than the generic chart and THAT is where you are paying for their knowledge and expertise. Some combos don't relate to a generic graph.
A 800 HP, 3600 lb car, with 3.42 gears can vary widely in what it needs.

If it's a 800 HP Buick Grand National, it will be soft on the bottom because it's a turbo'd V6 only making real power on boost.
If it's a 540 BBC in a '69 Chevelle, it's making power right now off idle.

Two entirely different converter builds and the company with experience is the one who will get it right faster.

You DO get what you pay for most times. Sometimes you can get quality product for a lesser price for many reasons. PTC has been in business for a long time, I would bet their equipment is paid for. Lower overhead compared to younger companies.
Economies of scale. A company that sells 1000 converters a year can discount them more than a company that sells 200.

There are many excellent converter companies out there. Some most members here have never even heard of. Some of these companies sell the parts to places like Yank so they can make their converters. That is just business. Just because Yank doesn't make their own billet covers doesn't mean they are lesser quality, it goes back to the economies of scale.

However you can't always judge a company by whether they are a sponsor or not, or what the bulk of members on a particular website prefer.
I have customers who have bought my 4L80E transbrake, but wanted Jim at Transformance to build their unit, or another sponsor here to build their unit. Those customers may have had prior experience with the respective companies and wanted to repeat business. That is the kind of customer you want as a business and I don't have issue with that.

I just encourage folks to do their research, don't blindly believe the marketing hype and internet stories (especially about transmissions and converters) and shop around.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:18 PM
TECH Regular

Holy cow, Hemingway, that's some enthusiasm right there! I'm cool if it's a ring setup and I was hoping someone who has one of PTC's less expensive converters can give a review?
Old 04-15-2012, 07:16 PM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

I gave you a review, mine has a ring on it, big deal?
Old 05-13-2012, 09:50 AM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

well its been a month since my last post in here and I was out doing some runs last night. Just want to say

I ******* LOVE MY PTC CONVERTER, BEST CONVERTER I HAVE EVER OWNED HANDS DOWN!!

yes, I am in love with it that much
Old 05-13-2012, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the update. My buddy wants an a4 firebird soon maybe I'll convince him to go with a ptc when the time comes.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have two... Call Lane at PTC, great guy.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Damn Jakes', that is about the MOST truth I have seen in a post in a long time, and from a sponsor too! Thumbs-up

Not enough people will read this, in particular the part about the tune and no WOT lock-up. That's for the billet cover and triple disc guys, but even those have limitations.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by trikemike
man do you ls1tech guys swing on yanks nuts, how many yank converters do you see in x275 or odr? Lol.
not a single one!
Old 05-13-2012, 08:14 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jake's Performance
I have customers who have bought my 4L80E transbrake, but wanted Jim at Transformance to build their unit, or another sponsor here to build their unit. Those customers may have had prior experience with the respective companies and wanted to repeat business. That is the kind of customer you want as a business and I don't have issue with that.

I just encourage folks to do their research, don't blindly believe the marketing hype and internet stories (especially about transmissions and converters) and shop around.
This is why I always tell guys that want a TH400 or a 80e built to go to you Jake.

You are straight up and you CARE about your customers. Remember my dumb ***? I cut my 12v power feed and you still sent me a replacement black box and after it got to my house I got the test light out and found it it wasn't the box! Sent it back to you and will always be a customer for life because of it.

Guy's if Jake tells you ANYTHING, take that **** to the bank. I will vouch for him and his company whenever I can because of this!

Just like I will for Madman, Jim@Transformance, Dave@Nitrous Outlet and Greg@FTI!!! All companies that have gone out of their way to bend over backwards for me just to make me a happy customer!!!
Old 05-14-2012, 07:11 AM
Teching In

PTC is in my home town..actually just 1/2 mile away. They built my 400 and converter for my tbss. They are a great company...I deal with tim @ ptc he has made sure i had everything for the swap. Even thought a 4700 lb truck that should make close to a 1000 hp was not there normal request they gladly took it on...very happy so far.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
not a single one!
What the crap does that have anything to do with anything? I see Yank as having a huge market share in the street car section of the hobby. If they do that really well why wouldn't you acknowledge that? I could give two ***** about whatever drag race class yall are talking about. My car isn't in it, so why should I care? My next converter may be a PTC, but i'll never stop repping Yank for the street cars on this board because Yank does a good job, and Dave is a straight up guy, I've talked to him several times. You know you're probably the same type of guy that would **** on a guy because he wants to keep his ac or back seats or doesn't want to install a roll cage in his street car....if it ain't your way it's no good.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:36 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
What the crap does that have anything to do with anything? I see Yank as having a huge market share in the street car section of the hobby. If they do that really well why wouldn't you acknowledge that? I could give two ***** about whatever drag race class yall are talking about. My car isn't in it, so why should I care? My next converter may be a PTC, but i'll never stop repping Yank for the street cars on this board because Yank does a good job, and Dave is a straight up guy, I've talked to him several times. You know you're probably the same type of guy that would **** on a guy because he wants to keep his ac or back seats or doesn't want to install a roll cage in his street car....if it ain't your way it's no good.
Wow who **** in your cornflakes?

Street cars are fine with me I would like to buy another one to play with, but it still wouldn't have a Yank converter it would have a FTI.

People in the real know about how a converter works all have strong personal preferences as to how their certain favorite brand does it best. You like Yank, I like FTI it's simple as that in this case. In another case it will be different.

I think you jumped my *** for no reason here just to continue to say how good Yank is when I never said they were bad! Correct me if I am wrong, but the thread was, "Who has used a PTC converter", not "who has used a Yank".

I never have had a problem with you, but you seem to be pretty pissed for some reason just because there aren't any Yank converters in X275, Ultimate Street, RS275, SR275, OL10.5, ODR, OLX275 it's a street car thing which is fine like I said above they work for their intended application.

Your problem seems to be that because it's a "race car oriented" converter company they will build a loose sloppy stall on the street and not be efficient I bet.

Anyways like I said I don't have a problem with you, but you seem to have a problem with things that aren't street cars which mine is fully insured, tagged and registered.

Quick Reply: Who here is running or has ran a PTC converter