Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converter Spacing Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 05:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converter Spacing Issue

I just got a FLT Lvl 6 4L60, FTI 3800 converter and CSR aluminum flexplate. I got the trans bolted up to the motor last night, with the converter pushed all the way in the trans, there is a gap of about 3/8inch or .375 between the converter and flexplate. Which I know is way too much, to get it where it needs to be I need about a 1/4inch shim. But that sounds like alot to me, most people only need .060 or .125 shims. What is up with my setup? I have got to get the spacing perfect with all of these parts being brand spankin new and pretty expensive.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:26 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the flexplate installed properly? I agree that sure seems like a large gap.

g
Old 03-04-2012, 08:44 PM
Teching In

Do you have the original Torque converter? You may want to put them side by side and compare them with a straight edge, or take measurements from the bolt pads to the top. If they are the same then I would assume your flex plate is not correct. I had a .25 gap which using a .125 spacer got me back in spec but I didn't even like having to use that.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:07 PM
11 Second Club

I know the flexplate is on correct it says "converter side" on one side and is recessed on the other side for the bolts.

Only old converter I have is my old stall I took out, it wouldn't do much good
Old 03-04-2012, 09:42 PM
Staging Lane

Not sure about the spacing on yours but that seems like a lot. Did you measure the distance from the converter pads to the bellhousing before attaching the trans to the motor? Installed my FTI 3600 lastnight and i had about a 7/32 of spacing between my fti 3600 and yank flywheel on my 5.3l/4l80e combo i did so i went with the .060 spacers.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:55 PM
11 Second Club

Yea I measured the converter pads before install and everything seemed ok. I am leaning towards the flexplate being the issue. Anyone else use the CSR aluminum plate?
Old 03-05-2012, 08:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 239 Likes on 166 Posts

some of the flat (non stamped flywheels) are a little thicker, but they dont have the pads "stamped" out, so i have seen a need to use spacers more than the other flywheels
as i remember, i took a meas once from the back of the block to the back on the ring gear on the flywheel, it was something like 7/16"-i wanted to make sure the flywheel i had would line up with my starter
Old 03-05-2012, 11:49 AM
11 Second Club

I talked to FTI about everthing and they are going to call CSR about the flexplate. I just noticed that the bolts for the bolt on starter ring gear will hit the starter once it is bolted up. So i am fixing to scrap that piece and order another flexplate. FTI is being great, and helping get this figured out though
Old 03-19-2012, 04:32 PM
11 Second Club

I figured I would give an update on this issue. I sent the CSR flexplate back and ordered a Hughes steel sfi flexplate. Just by changing the flexplate I went from a .400 gap with the CSR fp to a .250 gap with the Hughes fp. So I put a .125 shim in and called it done. Everything works perfect now that I got rid of that CSR flexplae which is a 300 dollar piece of crap. So anyone wanting a new flexplate stay away from the CSR way too many issues. The Hughes was half the price and worked out way better. Big Thanks to Greg at FTI for helping me get this straightened out.

Quick Reply: Converter Spacing Issue