Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E Tailshaft cracked, yay...with pics and story

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 07:11 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4L60E Tailshaft cracked, yay...with pics and story

You have heard these stories before, tailshaft housings breaking. no suprise. But, I'm gonna need a little help pinpointing the issue.

First, I'm 22 and I have a muscle car. Given the 2am time frame and a wide open stretch of road open for fair game. How fast is this car. got to 137 and on the throttle it cuts out. cloud of smoke behind me. thanks god I was only 5-8 miles from home and it was still driving and shifting(shakes at 50-60mph) til I got home. for being a young adult with a big boys toy.

Okay, so this is after I replaced the whiny rear axle I had to a nice quiet dream. But this is where my theory begins. I could not for the life of me get the torque arm or the drive where it was prier. I've been looking for LCA's to fix the issue which I now don't beleive is the issue. It's a combo of the drive shaft, which is steel, and the stock torque arm. How do I know? When I bought the car, he said he rebuilt the transmission at 98k miles. Under the car, there is evidence of damage to the body where something hit a few times to the top left of the tail shaft.

repair. New tail shaft, drive shaft, torque arm and relocate bracket? maybe some inner bushings and seals? how do I check for output shaft damage? Advice and opinions would be great.

Pictures show damage and the before, which is the TA and Drive shaft appearing like they are WAY of specs.
Attached Thumbnails 4L60E Tailshaft cracked, yay...with pics and story-imag0647.jpg   4L60E Tailshaft cracked, yay...with pics and story-imag0640.jpg   4L60E Tailshaft cracked, yay...with pics and story-imag0627.jpg  
Old 03-17-2012, 07:18 AM
Launching!

Just get a rebuilt or used low miles trans and be done with it. Easy swap. You can do it in a day
Old 03-20-2012, 01:50 PM
10 Second Club

Anyone else have a good opinion?
Old 03-20-2012, 03:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

It would be easier/cheaper to swap the extension housing...

you may need a new extension-housing-to-case seal;

you may or may not need a new yoke bearing in the replacement housing; a new yoke seal is a good idea.

Lay the tailshaft on a flat/level floor, and observe it carefully as you roll it around; check u-joints for obstructed movement, and front yoke for damage.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my tailshaft cracked on the dyno when i was just bolt-ons. I just had them install a new tailshaft. then i installed a chromeoly torque arm and relocation crossmember so it would not happen again. good luck.

Quick Reply: 4L60E Tailshaft cracked, yay...with pics and story