Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Circle D & Jake's Brake vs hacked stock & TG-3 coming soon

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 09:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Circle D & Jake's Brake vs hacked stock & TG-3 coming soon

I can't seem to make the tg-3 kit work, so I ordered a Jake's Brake for my 4l80e, including the full manual "little black box" since my car is not computer controlled.

The Jake's brake requires me to pull the trans out, so I decided to ditch the enormous hacked up GM converter (modded to around 3500 stall) and spend some money with a very nice local shop on an all new converter.

Funny story really: The first time I stopped into the Circle D converter shop was about 7 years ago. I asked for a really cheap converter so I could "test" a S4S diesel forklift engine with a very used 700R4 transmission. Chris looked at me a little funny, but then said: "Sure, we can do that..." A couple days later I picked up the hybrid converter and never looked back, it worked great, my 94 S10 diesel got 37 mpg on a Houston to Omaha to Portland OR trip.

Last week I walk in the door at Circle D, the first thing Chris says "aren't you the guy with the 700R4 on a diesel forklift engine?"... I was planning on just asking a few questions, but I figured if he remembered a one time cheap *** customer after 7 years, I should buy something...this time around I'm didn't go cheap...

Best 1/4 et with the hacked stock converter and -3 kit was 10.63, best mph was 137 (not same pass) Not that fast or quick, but the car is heavy and not very aerodynamic (and I can't drive that well).

I will post some photos of the t-brake install, perhaps it will help other DIY types like me...

I am interested to see how the friction discs look after dozens of WOT late/slow/slide 2-3 shifts using the -3 kit

More to come soon...
Old 03-20-2012, 11:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Should be a very nice improvement I'm going out on a limb and assuming you're the customer from Cypress. Order shipped out today, I'm sure you will be pleased (I work for Jake).

I have to give Chris props, to instantly remember a customer after 7 years is pretty impressive, and I'd imagine your appearance has varied a bit since then. What kind of converter did you end up going with? Or is it a secret?
Old 03-21-2012, 12:55 AM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by twinturbo496
I can't seem to make the tg-3 kit work, so I ordered a Jake's Brake for my 4l80e, including the full manual "little black box" since my car is not computer controlled.

I am interested to see how the friction discs look after dozens of WOT late/slow/slide 2-3 shifts using the -3 kit

Thanks for the order!
I am sure you'll be happy with the Circle-D converter. They are an asset to the industry IMO.

The TransGo -3 kit definitely has some quirks. It complicates the hydraulics too much in my opinion. You'll like the manual control box.

I think you'll also be surprised how little damage there is to the clutches IF they are High Energy. They are likely to be glazed but not killed. A testament to the material.
We've seen this issue before with the TG-3 kit and some other vendors ATTEMPTS at a 4L80E transbrake.

Good luck!
Old 03-21-2012, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nice, in for results. I got a Jake's transbrake as well, but letting the computer do the shifting. I can imagine it's gonna be much more efficient with a purpose built converter in there instead of that huge reworked stocker!!
Old 03-21-2012, 11:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by eLiT3SnIpEz
Should be a very nice improvement I'm going out on a limb and assuming you're the customer from Cypress. Order shipped out today, I'm sure you will be pleased (I work for Jake).

I have to give Chris props, to instantly remember a customer after 7 years is pretty impressive, and I'd imagine your appearance has varied a bit since then. What kind of converter did you end up going with? Or is it a secret?
Yep, I'm in Cypress.

The converter is a triple disc, 6 bolt cover, 258 mm around 4000 stall speed.

Last edited by twinturbo496; 04-01-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default 42.2 lb

Old 04-01-2012, 04:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you believe my wife's made in china digital scale.

Chris has his guys debur all the internal and external corners by hand after the cnc work is done... Probably overkill, but it is a nice touch on a high end hot rod part.

Last edited by twinturbo496; 04-01-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry for the delay in results, I decided that I needed A/C in my garage, that has delayed the install of the new converter & Jakes Brake by about 3 weeks.

Of significant interest is how to control line pressure with Jake's brake.

Many race only cars use constant line pressure, Jake sells a very nice adjustable plug that I am considering, however I already paid $$$ for the transgo stuff, and since I can't sell it to anyone else, I wonder if I should try to salvage a small token of my money by using the vac mod unit???

It looks like this:

Of course, even this part didn't fit right for me when I first installed it, I had to cut a radius to get the modified vac unit to fit. The retainer plate didn't line up with the vac unit as shown:

Old 04-01-2012, 04:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

A little work with the right cutter had the vac unit seated correctly.

I have a line pressure gauge in my car (sorry the engineer in my needed to see it) so I can report with confidence that this vac unit it has worked well, including the bleed off check valve that trans go includes to keep the line pressure stable under boost.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, the ceiling, walls, insulation, and A/C are done in the garage. Pulled the transmission today.

Comparison of the stalled stock converter. Same scale.

Quick Reply: Circle D & Jake's Brake vs hacked stock & TG-3 coming soon