Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fluid amount for brand new FLT 4l60e?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 05:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fluid amount for brand new FLT 4l60e?

I realize this is a stupid question, but I can't help but ask. I just purchased a brand new, FLT Level 4 4l60e with a brand new converter. I put a little over half a quarter in the converter, and another 9 quarts in the transmission. I also have a B&M transmission cooler that I imagine will hold at least half a quart. The dipstick tube seems to show full (checked with car in park and idling after hot). The problem I'm experiencing is failure to shift under wide open throttle conditions. I searched and a dry trans and converter should take 11 quarts. Could I be a little low? The tune has stock transmission values other than the normal adjustments for a high stall converter. I'm just stumped here. Anybody with a FLT happen to remember what they filled their dry unit to? I know FLT dynos all their transmissions before they ship... I just wasn't sure how dry they are after they dyno them.

Please note I'm in no way bashing FLT. I called Chuck and left him a message and imagine he'll get back to me Monday sometime, but I wanted to see if anybody here might have an idea and see if I can get this figured out over the weekend. I trust this unit will do what I paid for. Chuck and the guys at FLT are top notch when it comes to customer service. I'm sure it's just something little that I need to do on my end.

Thanks to anyone willing to share an idea.

Brad
Old 03-24-2012, 07:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

9 qts sounds about right. i think a stock empty 4l60 is 8 qts. and you have to take into account the lines and the trans cooler.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for posting this op i was wondering the same thing about fluid capacity as well. I'll be calling flt up Monday to hopefully order a level 3.

Btw, what fluid did you use??
Old 03-24-2012, 11:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I found something wrong in my tune, go figure. Took it out for another spin and all is well. I've never felt a transmission shift so smooth and on time. Big thanks to FLT.

@mjs1012, I used some Castrol Dex VI fluid.

Quick Reply: Fluid amount for brand new FLT 4l60e?