Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to buy 4L60E PARTS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 12:12 PM

Received 424 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Kirby
Sounds like you had a pretty budget rebuild. I'm looking at $1400 so far just in parts alone. But that also includes a new $600 converter. How difficult would you say the rebuild was? I am descently knowledgeable regarding cars and learn everything I don't know very fast. Hoping a 4L60-E manual as well as a rebuild DVD should make it pretty fool proof. Just not sure what special tools I might need.
This book is EXCELLENT with step-by-step quality color photos:

GM Automatic Overdrive Transmission Builder's and Swapper's Guide (S-A Design) by Cliff Rugles

The best $17 you will spend and IMHO more useful to the 1st-time builder than the ATSG manual:
http://www.amazon.com/Automatic-Over...0729393&sr=8-4

It takes at least $200 in special tools to rebuild a trans. And that assumes you have a complete set of shop tools, assorted snap ring pliers, feeler blades, etc.

See this thread and my pictures (post #3):
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...-get-them.html

And of course everything that CLRD4TO mentions. The tools for Teflon seals are $350 or you can have a local shop do it for you, or take a chance without the correct tools. I would highly recommend getting a quality rebuilt valve body or having an expert rebuild it for you. (The two Sonnax reamers are another $400 and require practice.)

Just buying $1400 of parts is not going to guarantee you success. Some parts work better together than others. The parts selection will also determine how the shift kit is installed and which options are selected; this is much too complex for simple Q/A.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I completely agree. I will definitely have to get some experienced knowledge on how to configure the shift kit, etc considering the new parts I've been looking at might make my shifting so firm that I may only need the softest spring. The billet servo I'm even looking at has 35% more holding power than the corvette servo.

I did just order that book btw. Along with 4 other books and miscelaneous tools. lol.

Lots of great info here too as to where the best places to order parts can be found. Glad I came across this thread!

Quick Reply: Where to buy 4L60E PARTS?