Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60E cuts out at cruise speed off throttle

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 11:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60E cuts out at cruise speed off throttle

Now I'm just not getting this.. first off the trans is not slipping car runs 13:23 1/4 mile (bone stock w street tires) while this was going on ....what it does is your cruising at 55/60 mph and you get out of throttle and its gone nothing free rev when you get back in to the throttle it will do this 1 out 30 times of getting in and out of the throttle at a cruise speed and when I say in and out of the throttle I talking about just cruising in traffic and not hammering the throttle if you go to third and shift back to OD it's back and when you pull it in to third its there no slip and a good shift back to OD. I dropped the pan last night and found that someone had serviced the trans at some point and I found NO METAL NO CLUTCH NO BRASS nothing to make me think this trans in messed up... There was some powder type metal on the magnet but nothing large in the pan. I pulled the pressure control soleniod and I think the plug was not on right because it came off very easy I think it was only on one part of the plug so I pulled it and checked it out and nothing in the screens on the soleniod so I sprayed it /cleaned it and reinstalled it and this time the wires clicked into place and there is no way of just pulling it off like it did the first time.....so we put a new filter and fliud and took the car out and cruised it for over a hour and had no problems did a on ramp start ran the car from stop to about 90 mph it ran thru all gears at about 3/4 throttle like 3 times and cruised at speed and coasted for over a 1/4 mile and it never slipped or disengaged nothing no problems. We go back to the shop and clean up and bullshit for like twenty minutes and I get in the car to go home and it does it 3 times in about 25 mile running on a back roads at a cruise speed of around 50 mph ..WTF..... Now what is going on with this trans do I replace the Trans Pressure switch and the Pressure control soleniod do I rebuild do I deal with it I dont think I can give any more details ....The car smokes the tires fist gear after second gear shift spins again and nice shift into third and forth car pulls hard and also has NO TROUBLE CODES OR SERVICE ENGINE LIGHT ....NEED HELP WHAT WOULD CAUSE THIS CONDITION

Last edited by NHRA4MULA; 04-21-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:24 PM
On The Tree

Nobody has any thoughts on this .....I'm going House on this need some input to help me think......
Old 04-21-2012, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

No trans techs in here ..... people said this site was going to **** but I did'nt want to believe it .....sad.... maybe somebody wants to comment on my spelling
Old 04-25-2012, 07:21 PM
Teching In

i cant help you out but my truck is doing the same thing.so if you find out anything let me know.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like the forward sprag or over run clutch if I underestand your problem correctly. When cruising at higher rpm and letting off the gas the engine returns to idle??
Old 04-26-2012, 06:52 AM
On The Tree

I did some research and it seems like it maybe the pressure control valve I changed the trans fluid and filter and now it has only done it like 3 times in about a 150 miles. I found this and what he says is what mine is doing just dropping out of gear off throttle. I'm going to put some miles on the car today and see what happens it was doing it all the time now its only once and a while?? I dont want to think its sprag the pan was clean no metal in the pan no clutch material ??? and changing the filter and fluid seems to have changed the way its acting....

4L60E-Pressure Switch Manifold Tip Clip - YouTube (you may have to copy and paste)
Old 04-26-2012, 07:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Put a psi gauge on it??
Old 04-26-2012, 08:57 AM
On The Tree

Need to put a scanner on it and it says you can watch the pressure switches change and kick it out of gear
Old 04-27-2012, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JUNK
Sounds like the forward sprag or over run clutch if I underestand your problem correctly. When cruising at higher rpm and letting off the gas the engine returns to idle??

If it was this would I be able to make it do it all the time or would it only do it once and then not do it again for a while..... I really need some help with this I'm not wanting to send the trans out to be built at this time.....and I didnt do the pressure switch yet
Old 04-29-2012, 10:04 AM
Launching!

hey Dan, thats an easy fix! only drive the car a 1/4 mi. at a time at WOT!! problem solved... BIG THANKS on the trailer sale! now we can move on to finding a max-effort cam for my car and spend that $$, somebody has to keep this economy going!!!