Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which 80e rebuild kit? + other swap/converter ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which 80e rebuild kit? + other swap/converter ?'s

Picked up an 1995 80e today and am now attempting to order most of what I will need. I was told it works fine and has no issue running through the gears, but I want it to be fresh + the Transgo HD2 kit.

So here are my questions..

Which rebuild kit? Searched online(mostly eBay) and there are tons of different kits. Is there a kit out there that is popular and what the majority use?

Parts for the swap, I have searched for hours but it seems like every thread has different answers, methods(especially when it comes to the electronics), etc. I also noticed that more light is being shed on this swap, and new ways of making things work are being introduced ..hard to keep up and know what the current* methods are. I am looking for the most straight forward, yet budget minded way to do this. Anyone have a solid, complete list of parts saved?

Converters.. billet vs non, I really could not find a ton of info about this. The non-billet RevMax Stage 3 is pretty tempting for the price and says it will hold 500 hp(which I do not make). Is the huge price difference based on the power that the converter will hold? ..or how it performs, ET wise? I do not want to lose performance because I decided to go with a cheaper converter.

Also, any other basic upgrades recommended for the 80e? From what I understand it should hold 700+ with just the Transgo kit, just making sure that is all that I will need.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out the Jakes Performance Transmission kit. With it you won't need to buy the transgo kit.

Last edited by Chevyratracer; 04-22-2012 at 12:11 AM.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Definitely the Jake's Performance kit. The rebuild kit has a LOT more to it for the price than the other kits and includes very well written instructions with pictures to assist with the hydraulic modifications. Not only do you get a rebuild kit, but you get a shift kit with it as well, in a sense. Customer service is top notch, bar none!

http://jakesperformance.com/Kits_and_Components.html