Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E Riding Gears Too Long

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4L60E Riding Gears Too Long

I got a supposedly stock LS1 and 4L60E to drop back into my T/A to sell it from another 2000 T/A. Everything seems fine, but under part throttle, it wants to hold each gear for a little longer than seems normal, then shift up to the next gear pretty firm. On top of that, when u come to a dead stop, it shifts back down through all the gears back to 1st pretty hard on its own while sitting. At WOT, it shifts very firm, but almost seems like its short shifting (although that could just be because Im not used to the stock power band because I honestly haven't really looked to see what RPM its shifting at then. The important thing to note either way though is that it's shifting very firm. No slippage at all that I have seen. I have felt cars with shift kits shift harder than this, but it's still certainly harder than stock I would say. I put a trans cooler on top of it as well, but added extra fluid and have been checking the fluid level hot peruodicly because I thought that might have been the issue at first, but it looks good. After riding in it, my buddy mentioned that it almost felt like it had a bigger stall in it, so yesterday I decided to test that theory. I was able to foot brake it to 2,500 rpm before the tires started turning so maybe it DOES have a little stall in there. That's the thing about buying a drop-out like this; you never really know what all was done to it.

Anyway, is this normal behavior for a stalled 4L60E? It shifts when it's supposed to sometimes, and rides it up higher at others. It just kind of has a mind of its own when it comes to shifting it seems. I don't think this should matter, but my car also has 3.73's and I'm pretty sure the ECU is tuned to 100% stock specs.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bump for advice.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to have a 2500 stall converter. Now I have a stock one since my transmission was rebuilt and I can barely foot brake it past 1000rpm, at least I think that is where it stall too. I wanna say with my 2500 i could stall it to 2000rpms. Mine has always seem to ride out gears quite a bit too, not like to a high rpm but just taking awhile to go into the next gear. And it kinda downshifts a little early, coming to a stop I can feel the gearing slowing it down some.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So your saying it could be even higher than a 2,500 stall possibly?
Old 04-27-2012, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bluebird71
So your saying it could be even higher than a 2,500 stall possibly?
Yeah thats what i'm saying. Sorry forgot to put that in there.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is there another trick for determining stall speed?
Old 04-27-2012, 09:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Hit it from a slow roll and see where the RPMs are when the car starts moving, should give you a general area.

Quick Reply: 4L60E Riding Gears Too Long