Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! 4L65e 4x4 to 4x2 Converstion. How do I tell if done right?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 11:22 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! 4L65e 4x4 to 4x2 Converstion. How do I tell if done right?!

Please help! I'm sure someone can tell at just a glance. I purchased this 1955 Chevy project w/ a 2005 LQ9 and 4L65e from a 2005 Escalade (w 60k miles). The guy I purchased from had the tranny converted from 4x4 to 4x2. He replaced the tail housing, etc. He specificially stated that he took the tranny to a shop and had the conversion is done, however I spoke to a friend yesterday and he told me you can't convert a 4x4 to 4x2 without replacing the whole case (due to the input shaft lengths.)

So, how do I tell? Is the case a 4x2 case? What can I do to verify this work was done correctly (short of disassembling the whole thing?) I'm hoping they did not just change out the tail shaft housing and call it good for a quick sell.

My perception from the guy is that the work was done correctly. He called me a week later and asked to sell him the drivetrain back for another project. The car is a very complete conversion with harness, pan, computer, etc all completed.

Here are a few pics. Any help is greatly apprecaited to verify this is correct for 2 wheel drive application.

Thanks!

Old 05-01-2012, 04:30 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

I just rebuilt a 4x4 trans into a 4x2. Primarily you need a different output shaft and matching tailshaft. Note that replacing the output shaft requires quite a bit of disassembly - you have to go at least as far as removing the output shaft clip on the front planetary. (It would only take 20 minutes more to replace the 3/4 clutch at the same time.)
Old 05-07-2012, 09:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Your good to go, the shop changed the output shaft and tailhousing. It's done all the time, but usually reversed (2wd to 4wd) when the harder to find 4x4 goes REAL bad and u need a core.

It took the guy all of 30min to do that, but it would be right.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

im in the middle of converting my 4wd 07 silverado to 2wd does anyone know if the harness has to be modified i dont want any check engine lights or service 4x4 lights on i got a really good deal on a brand new gm 2wd tranny
i also have the round **** on the dash to select 4lo 4hi and 2wd any help woulld be appreciated
Old 06-06-2012, 04:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by x275radial
im in the middle of converting my 4wd 07 silverado to 2wd does anyone know if the harness has to be modified i dont want any check engine lights or service 4x4 lights on i got a really good deal on a brand new gm 2wd tranny
i also have the round **** on the dash to select 4lo 4hi and 2wd any help woulld be appreciated
you should not have to make any revisions to the wiring harness as long as that trans is going back into the same vehicle.

Quick Reply: HELP! 4L65e 4x4 to 4x2 Converstion. How do I tell if done right?!