Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Th350 late 3rd shift

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 05:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Th350 late 3rd shift

Hey guys, IM new to the auto world and i installed a built th350 with art carr 3500 stall behind my 5.3. Car feels like im hauling a boat behind me when cruising( I heard this is normal with the big stall). But my only real complaint is when running through the gears with the go pedal on the floor the car shifts 1-2 great but when its suppose to shift the 2-3 it hits the limiter and i have to let off alittle and let the rpms drop slightly for it to hit 3rd. Iv heard an adjustable vaccum modelator will help?? Any thoughts?
Old 05-09-2012, 11:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Detent Cable

Not sure if it is applicable to your performance built transmission, but I had the same issue with the TH350 in my stock Nova. Plant foot to floor and 1-2 was good, but 2-3 never came until I took my foot out of it. After a lot of research I found that this is a syptom of the tranny detent cable not being properly adjusted.

Take a few minutes and do a google search on how to properly adjust the cable and then check to see if yours is correctly set. Start with the easiest/simplest solution first then move onto the hard stuff. Good luck!
Old 05-09-2012, 11:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if it has the adjustable detent cable up by the throttle body/carb, you can press the tab on the side and slide it all the way in and the release the tab, sit in drivers set and slowly mash the peddle to the floor, when you get close to the floor you should hear a light ratcheting sound from under the hood, thats the adjuster presetting itself. make sure you go all the way to the floor with it then you should be good.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:59 AM
Banned

Default TH350 2-3 shift

If you are running a vacuum modulator I would turn the screw counterclockwise that will make it shift quicker. And always run a red stripe vacuum modulator they were the best. If you are running a kick down cable disconnected it and see what that does. If I can help you in any way don't hesitate to call or e-mail me.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:06 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the replys guys. Trans doesnt have a detent cable, has it has a block off plate. Not really sure on the build sheet. Ill try adjusting the modelator and get back. Thanks for the replys guys
Old 05-09-2012, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

Only had about 30 mins to play with the car this afternoon. I did adjust the modelator and it now shifts into third right before the limiter so alittl emore tweaking and i think we are good to go. Thanks guys!
Old 05-10-2012, 12:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

congrats, and enjoy...

Quick Reply: Th350 late 3rd shift