Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

curious A4 swap question

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 08:32 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default curious A4 swap question

I havent really seen this question asked, I very well might have missed it in my reading through threads but I'm gonna ask anyway.

If goin with a 4L60 swap from a T56, if you go with a full manual valve body upgrade & ratchet shifter you still shift it yourself unlike a normal 4L60e swap & letting the PCM command the tranny correct? So you'd start off in drive & then just bump the ratchet up through the gears till you got to OD correct? If this is a correct statement could one save the money of the A4 harness/PCM swap since they wont be relying on the PCM to shift the tranny for them & wont need the signals for park/neutral/drive?

If so then this seems like it could be a nice mix of auto/manual. Now if this is true is it hard on the auto tranny or is shifting it manually actually easier on it if the tranny is built properly?
Old 05-11-2012, 09:10 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Yes, but you will need to adapt a TV cable for the 4L60 to work. IMO, it would be simpler to use 4L60e with an A4 harness and just flash an A4 tune to your PCM. You can use a Transgo HD3 kit if you want full-time manual shifting. Personally, even with a ratchet shifter, I would avoid this to keep the option of manual or fully automatic.

Your transmission should be built to best accommodate your preferences, but there's nothing inherently good or bad about manual shifting (contrary to some popular myths).
Old 05-11-2012, 09:26 AM
12 Second Club

"TV" cable? whats that? I'm still learning about this auto stuff. Seems like everyone wants $200 or so for a stock A4 harness or even the speartech harness. And I thought it was suggested to just grab a A4 PCM as well? I might be able to have a buddy flash a stock tune on my stock 99' M6 PCM if that will work. But I thought a few pins were different, could easily be confused though.

So do you think I'd just be better off goin to a regular 4L60e & let the computer control it & get a ratchet shifter if thats what I wanna run with my 6-speed console?

Also, how do you like that 3600 stall, thats what I'm thinking about goin with on my combo w/3.73 gears.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:32 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Throtte valve cable. Its position controls shift points on the 700R4/4L60.

If you get a different PCM it'll have to be programmed with your serial number anyway. It would be simpler just to reflash the one you have. I'm not aware of the pin setup being different from an M6 PCM, but like you say, if that's the case they can just be swapped out.

Yep, I'd definitely go with the regular 4L60e and run a ratchet shifter if that's what you'd like.

The Yank SS3600 is the most popular converter for LS1's and I love mine. A lot of folks will say go bigger to a 4000, but the 3600 is great if you daily drive the car. 3.73's will match it really well if you already have them; 3.42's will work equally well. If you still have the stock 3.42's, a swap to 3.73's is not worth it. The difference is negligible and there won't be any performance gain.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:43 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Throtte valve cable. Its position controls shift points on the 700R4/4L60.

If you get a different PCM it'll have to be programmed with your serial number anyway. It would be simpler just to reflash the one you have. I'm not aware of the pin setup being different from an M6 PCM, but like you say, if that's the case they can just be swapped out.

Yep, I'd definitely go with the regular 4L60e and run a ratchet shifter if that's what you'd like.

The Yank SS3600 is the most popular converter for LS1's and I love mine. A lot of folks will say go bigger to a 4000, but the 3600 is great if you daily drive the car. 3.73's will match it really well if you already have them; 3.42's will work equally well. If you still have the stock 3.42's, a swap to 3.73's is not worth it. The difference is negligible and there won't be any performance gain.
Yea, I'm running 3.42's right now but they have a spacer cause i bought the wrong series of gears used when I broke it the first time. The 3.73's I have are the correct series for my posi so I could ditch the spacer & the 3.73's will help a little. If the PCM already has to be flashed might as well get the 3.73's done at the same time & get that corrected in the PCM as well.

Looks like a regular 4L60 it'll be then. I dont mind just tossin it in OD & letting it do the work, LOL. I'm slowly starting to locate & make deals on parts. Got a buddy that got a extra A4 cross member he is gonna give me for $20 & got a couple other buddies diggin through their old stuff to see what they got. Hoping this will save me some $$ on the swap in the end. I got a Pro 5.0 I need to list for sale on here or straight trade for a B&M Pro ratchet from someone looking to go M6 swap.