Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e MVB Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4l60e MVB Conversion

I have searched many post and have found some good stuff but I just have a couple questions about doing a full conversion to a MVB on a 4l60e.

Will I have to install a vacuum modulator on the trans to help with light throttle shifting?

And what should be done to the computer for the tuning, will it see a problem since there will be no electronics on the trans, I can tune it out that’s not a problem but I was wondering more on the lines of what should it be set to so no problems arise with the computer. Mainly I was wondering about converter lock up or even if that will work without the computer since it is commanded by the computer.

Any extra info would be appreciated
Old 05-12-2012, 08:29 PM

Received 390 Likes on 299 Posts

One question is why go to the trouble of a MVB?
What kind of racing are you doing? Drag, autocross, track?
Some people have misperceptions of what a 4L60E can do with proper tuning and a few mods that still leave it "automatic" most of the time.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Street driving and drag racing, mostly just wanted to do it for the fun factor. I know there is no real benefit over some proper tuning and a the correct mods.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wanna know to.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by 2000PewterT/A
Street driving and drag racing, mostly just wanted to do it for the fun factor. I know there is no real benefit over some proper tuning and a the correct mods.
"do it for the fun factor" is the best reason of all.

I don't have any experience with MVB, but let me start with the little bit I know (or think I know) and lets other fill in. (especially if/when I am wrong)

First, the PCM is not a huge issue. It will throw "codes", but they can be turned off. You will want your shifter to send the Park/Neutral and perhaps Reverse signal to the PCM as the internal software uses that in a variety of ways.

One issue is the EPS solenoid in the trans which increases line pressure under high throttle. I don't know if that will work correctly if the PCM doesn't know what gear the trans is in and all the codes are turned off. One solution to that is to go with a vacuum controlled throttle body; dedicated MVB probably come that way anyway. In that case, you might want to change the PCM to different OS version (also called Segment?) for a manual transmission.

IIRC, one of the trans sponsors here sells a MVB. Hopefully they will take it from here to tell you just how complex and costly this is.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

One issue is the EPS solenoid in the trans which increases line pressure under high throttle. I don't know if that will work correctly if the PCM doesn't know what gear the trans is in and all the codes are turned off.

That was my main convern , I know some guys run vacuum modulators for the line pressure issue so ill look into that. Ill contact IIRC and see what they say, thanks for the help.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:30 AM

Um, "IIRC" means "If I Remember Correctly". Not the name of a sponsor.