Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rev limiter going into 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 09:44 AM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I can offer is the experience I had when my ST3500 was first installed. My 1-2 shift was totally screwed up at WOT, and Autotap would show a 1-2-1-2 shift while doing a major bog. I kept adjusting the shift points to no avail. Finally I did a bunch of Autotap runs monitoring just current gear and rpm and discovered I was bouncing off the rev limiter. (I found the computer reacts faster than Autotap when monitoring multiple parameters.) After adjusting the limiter up 500 rpms, then re-adjusting the shift the problem went away. I kinda view this as a combination of lack of traction, (running 245/50 16s) and the way the computer reacts to the (SIC) discrepancy between rpms vs mph. Since I only had HPP3 to work with, this was the way I solved my problem. BTW, in the midst of this I DID have some occasional 2-3 shift problems, but that was also cured by bumping the rev limiter.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:01 AM
Launching!

Default tranny

dam this a is a good thread!

i have the same chit.

my car won't shift into third sometime's with a 4l60e & 3000 torque converter, i alway's thought it was my opti untill i seen this thread i know it's my tranny.

I think it's that sensor on the side of the tranny because it looks like it's leaking tranny fluid from there just a little bit but enough to tell.

where can i find one at? mybe autozone or something huh.

mybe i can help you guy's by giving that sensor a try. good luck to all of us with this dam problem!
Old 05-07-2004, 12:00 PM
Staging Lane

PROBLEM FIXED!!!

The deep pan fixed it. I made 5 runs, and each time it shifted flawlessly at ~5980 rpm. DO NOT OVERFILL YOUR TRANNY! You'll just get it foamy and it'll just start slipping more. Just get the deep pan with the extension for the pick up tube. It drops the filter and fluid pickup lower. And when you fill the fluid to the same level, it submerges the filter more. I completely agree with Jammer. I think the heavy accelleration is just pulling the fluid to the back of the pan resulting in the pickup tube sucking up air.

Try the deep pan and lemme know if it fixes it!!
Old 05-07-2004, 12:09 PM
Launching!

well if you said it worked for you i'll give it a try where did you buy it?
Old 05-08-2004, 06:26 PM
TECH Addict

I've had a history of hitting the limiter on the 2-3 and slippage on the 2-3. Right now I am running Ford F type fluid to eliminate the slippage.

To eliminate hitting my limiter I am using the factory mass air and with the Hypertech set to -6. My PCM is programmed for 6400 rpm shift points, limiter 6800.

With the bored mass air body I have been told the fluid pressure lowers, decreasing the clutch pressure. The transmission sees the correct fluid pressure only with the factory mass air body. Have not tried the bored mass air since lowering my shift with the Hypertech to -6. I plan to try the bored mass air again to see if my shift 2-3 shift increases via Auto Tap.

I feel the factory mass air could limit my hp capability. It's has an equivalent flow area of 66.2 mm. Sure prefer the 75 mm flow area but not if line pressure is decreased and causes tranny damage.

I know the Ford fluid is a bandaid fix but so far so good. The tranny has to last long even with the Ford fluid verses all the slippage I had with the Dextron III.

If we can confirm that a deeper pan is the fix then I'm going that route next.

Last edited by Larry; 05-08-2004 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-08-2004, 07:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ram air camaro
well if you said it worked for you i'll give it a try where did you buy it?
I got the B&M Aluminum Deep Pan. I think it holds an extra quart over the TCI, but I'm not sure. Picked mine up from Jeg's. I'm sure Summit Racing, Thunder Racing, LGMotorsports, or any of the sponsors have them.

Yup, I'm almost giddy that the pan fixed it!
Old 05-09-2004, 10:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The Chevy Tahoe pan is better as it slants forward and has the drain plug, but if the BandM works...well, on second thought, I guess it is just as good. Glad it helped.

Quick Reply: rev limiter going into 3rd