Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hitting revlimiter and not shifting

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 09:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hitting revlimiter and not shifting

My buddy has a automatic 2002 ss camaro and the car downshifts fine but when it revs the rev limiter will hit a couple of times and then it will shift.
Is the a possible torque converter prefailure?
Old 05-28-2012, 09:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the car stock? What gear does it do it in? 4l60e 3-4 clutches are a weak point and this is a sign of them failing.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:58 PM
11 Second Club

The car is completly stock. I dont know exactly what gear ration it. It has 124000 miles on it. Is there anything that can be done to help keep this car going for a while or will it fail soon?
Old 05-29-2012, 11:36 AM

Received 390 Likes on 299 Posts

You might be able to get a bit more life out of the trans by installing a bigger boost valve and stiffer pressure regulator spring to increase your line pressure. Here is one:

http://www.sonnax.com/system/announc...8E-K-COMBO.pdf

(Sorry cannot find the part # for the stiffer pressure regulator spring.)

The Sonnax "Servo Release Check Valve" might help too:

http://www.sonnax.com/system/announcement/77701-076.pdf

Installing this part does require removing the valve body to drill the separator's plate 3rd gear feed hole much larger (to .120), which might help too.

Depending upon how much the 3/4 clutches have worn, all this might be too late, but these are excellent parts to have in the trans when it is rebuilt.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:11 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mrvedit
You might be able to get a bit more life out of the trans by installing a bigger boost valve and stiffer pressure regulator spring to increase your line pressure. Here is one:

http://www.sonnax.com/system/announc...8E-K-COMBO.pdf

(Sorry cannot find the part # for the stiffer pressure regulator spring.)

The Sonnax "Servo Release Check Valve" might help too:

http://www.sonnax.com/system/announcement/77701-076.pdf

Installing this part does require removing the valve body to drill the separator's plate 3rd gear feed hole much larger (to .120), which might help too.

Depending upon how much the 3/4 clutches have worn, all this might be too late, but these are excellent parts to have in the trans when it is rebuilt.

thanks for the info.

I rode with him yesterday he stopped at a stop sign then did a little roll out then stomp the throttle. so it did it from 1 to 2nd and he didnt allow it to shift into 3rd. Any opinions?
Old 05-29-2012, 11:36 PM
10 Second Club

sounds like its slipping bro
Old 06-01-2012, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like the exact same problem I had with my diesel truck. I replaced the shift solenoid block an it cured it. Just my 2 cents...
Old 06-06-2012, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mines was doing this , a rebuild did not fix it either , when I give it a wide open throttle I had to let off it a little when it gets to 5500rpm in order for it to shift , but when I put in my new tranny I didn't have that problem any more.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Don't get a REBUILD , you will still have the same problem , they (Transmission Shop Kenny's Baton Rouge ) told me the problem that was causing these issues was in the hard parts not the rebuild parts
Old 06-06-2012, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Blk_Ws6
Don't get a REBUILD , you will still have the same problem , they (Transmission Shop Kenny's Baton Rouge ) told me the problem that was causing these issues was in the hard parts not the rebuild parts
Sorry that sounds like BS to me. They is no hard part that could cause that problem. If the trans shift fine at moderate throttle, then every "hard part" is fine.
Something is slipping so that the engine hits the rev limiter before the car hits the programmed upshift MPH.
The converter could be slipping.
If shifting 1-2, the band could be slipping. (OK the reverse drum could be worn, but a "quality" rebuild replaces that.)
If shifting 2-3, then the 3/4 clutches are almost certainly worn.

Obviously the trans will now or soon need a rebuild. My previous suggestion was to increase line pressure to reduce the slipping so that you can get a bit more life out of it.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^ Wow ! only here to help , not debate , I'm only telling what happen to mines , NEVER SAID this would happen to his or yours , when I swapped out transmission mines stop doing this .
Old 06-07-2012, 10:40 AM
On The Tree

I had a 90RS with a 700r4 that did this. I'm not sure if te 4L60E has a tv cable (I'm assuming it does), but if that thing gets out of spec a bit you'll have that exact same problem. Mine even didn't want to downshift sometimes.

Btw tv = throttle valve. On my RS it ran from the TB (was connected right by the cable that runs to the gas pedal) to the side of the transmission.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:50 AM
On The Tree

look before you start spending tons of money on the expensive stuff, replace your shift control solenoids. the symptoms you described are age old symptoms of them going bad.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Blk_Ws6
^^ Wow ! only here to help , not debate , I'm only telling what happen to mines , NEVER SAID this would happen to his or yours , when I swapped out transmission mines stop doing this .
Oops, no offense intended. I never debate anyone on these forums.
You said a trans shop told you something - that is what I was debating.

MrMixnMatch - No, a 4L60E does NOT have a TV cable.

Zombiesoldier - Intermittent shift problems certainly are a symptom of bad solenoids. This was not reported as intermittent. However, I agree with you fully that replacing a few cheap parts, that fail regularly, is a good way to start solving problems and extending the life of a transmission.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

On my truck it was doing it all the time. I replaced the shift control solenoid block and it 100% cured it. This was on a modified Powerstroke diesel though.. Apples to oranges I guess.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mrvedit
Oops, no offense intended. I never debate anyone on these forums.
You said a trans shop told you something - that is what I was debating.

MrMixnMatch - No, a 4L60E does NOT have a TV cable.

Zombiesoldier - Intermittent shift problems certainly are a symptom of bad solenoids. This was not reported as intermittent. However, I agree with you fully that replacing a few cheap parts, that fail regularly, is a good way to start solving problems and extending the life of a transmission.
It's cool buddy
Old 06-07-2012, 06:19 PM
Teching In

Given all of my previous experiences, sonnax boost valves come with recommended P/R spring. I think given the circumstances and the mileage on the vehicle, it may be wise to invest in a rebuild now as opposed to a less convenient time (stranded side of the road somewhere). As mrvedit has pointed out, there are some common wear items in the 4L60e and unfortunately they have been known to start going away around that mileage in stock format. The boost valve and check valve would be an investment that might buy you a little time, but it sounds to me like you are delaying what is inevitable at this point.

Quick Reply: Hitting revlimiter and not shifting