Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e reaction carrier shaft and 5 pinion planets

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 03:19 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60e reaction carrier shaft and 5 pinion planets

I have a 96 corvette, lt1 with a procharger. Estimated 400rwhp and plan to increase boost to (hopefully) get to 500rwhp this summer.
I am doing a full rebuild with borg warner clutches, wide band, sleeved drum, sonnax servos and pinless accumulator pistons and need some advice.

I can get a killer deal on gm 5 pinion planets, but cant seem to be able to locate a bearing style reaction carrier. Does anyone know the latest part numbers? Atsg shows 24217157 for shaft and 24217328 for bearing, but no one seems to have these so they may have been sperceded.

I also think the shaft and bearing need to match sice gm may have changed this at some point. Any advice on this would help.

Also need to know if there is any mismatch problems with shaft and 5 pinion reaction planetary?

For rear planet, latest part is 24241244. Atsg originally shows 24218069, which was superceded by 24227591. The price on new 24241244 is under a hundred, are these as strong?

Front plnet latest part is 24241248. Atsg originally shows 24218063 which was superceded by 24243874. Need to know if 24241248 is as strong. Also under a hundred.

Both new planets are ac delco.

I also have beast sunshell that I would like to reuse and replace plastic bushing with roller bearing. Who sells the shorter race? Maybe I would be better off with sonnax smartshell that is already roller?

Final question for the pros: Is all of this needed, even at 500rwhp?. A lot of peple seem to run 10 sec cars with 4 pinion planets and thrust washer shell and shaft. I run 315 street tires, no slicks, 2.59 gear and spn 275 tires all through first. 315 will hook better, but still a true street tire.

Thanks a bunch.

Last edited by HighMileageC4; 05-30-2012 at 03:37 AM.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:28 PM
Banned

I'm in the same boat as well.
I bought the new planets and and I having an issue finding the right bearing.
As it stands you can't use the smart shell either,that's the shell I bought.
In the process of figuring this out right now to.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:44 PM
Banned

Thanks to WRT
Maybe he will chime in and give part numbers and make more sense of this.
But with the new forward planet (04 up) you have to get a different hub and 2 bearings, this will allow you to use the smart shell as well.
Thanks
WRT
WOODS RACING TRANSMISSIONS
Old 06-02-2012, 03:58 PM
WRT
Teching In

Yes you need to change the hub shaft for the front ring gear to the 2004 and up as this works wit the latest updated 5 pionion gears. I don't have my gm part numbers in front of me but looking in my WIT book these are their part numbers.

74238GA inner bearing between the planet and hub.

74602GA 2004 Hub.

74241B Bearing between Hub and Shell.

As far as I can tell with my current messurements you can use all this with any brand shell. But, I am going to call Sonnax Monday to confirm this.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:59 PM

Received 423 Likes on 322 Posts

This may need a bit of correction.
There are actually 3 different reaction carriers available. The first is for the old-style brass flat bearing/washer. The second and third have the torrington bearing on the bottom but have a different inner recess for the inner bearing. TranStar lists the latest one as 2007+. It is likely that Transtar is incorrect (not the first time) and WRT's statement of 2004+ is correct.

This is the one you MUST have with the latest 5-pinion planets, e.g. from Amazon or gmpartsdirect. Otherwise the inner bearing between the planet and hub will not seat correctly and lead to failure.

I just discovered this yesterday when my local trans builder, trying to replicate one of my transmission builds for his own customer noticed the non-seating bearing. He had only the 2nd style reaction carrier while I have been using the 3rd style.

I plan to take pictures and measurements this coming week when I have all three reaction carriers in front of me. I probably will go and order the parts WRT listed for confirmation; the 3rd style reaction carrier from the dealer is only $39.

These parts do not in any way affect the choice of Sunshell. I have measured that The Beast fits fine, although my final builds use the Sonnax Smartshell.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:22 PM
Staging Lane

WRT,
Thanks for the reply back. Out of curiosity are the WIT parts GM/ACDelco or aftermarket?

mrevedit,
Do you have part number for 3rd style shaft and bearing?

I did a little more research over the weekend.
It looks like the reaction planet has had a number of part numbers being superceded:

24218069 >> 24227002 >>24227591 and I think the latest is 24241244

From ATSG 24218069 originally took the 24217157 shaft, which from your description is the "2nd style" (first style bearing type after the thrust washer was replaced).

I saw a reference that the 2422702 planets pair with a 24222756 shaft.

Question will 24222756 shaft pair with the latest planet 24241244?

Also does anyone know if when you upgrade to the 5 planet, do you reuse your old oil slinger from the 4 planet, or is this discarded on the 5 planet sets? Since I have a corvett trans, it most likely has the oil slinger, but will not know till I tear into it that deep.

Still wondering if 500RWHP needs all of this stuff (400RWHP should not). Its starting to get complicated, I thought for the price of the planets why not, but don't want to risk getting wrong shaft or bearing and doing this over. Its already the 2nd time into the trans and multiple times calibrating the 2-3 shift with spacer plate changes to deal with a 2-3 tie up (not flare).

Still not clear on how to make the Beast bearing style as opposed to scrapping it and eating another $90 on the Sonnax.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:34 PM

Sorry, I've been busy with my "real" job.
I picked the new reaction shaft and bearings at the dealer today; I will post #s soon and then pics and details of everything.

Please see my post about The Beast and the Sonnax Smartshell:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...art-shell.html

As far as I know, there is no way to make the Beast have a rear bearing - it sits on the rear sun gear which sits on the inner bearing of the rear planetary which can be too much for it.

More details later. (Sorry)
Old 06-05-2012, 08:20 PM
Staging Lane

mrvedit,

I think what some of the pros do with the beast is have the inner race machined and then add a roller bearing in place of the plastic thrust washer.

I think PATC used to sell this and may have replaced it with the Sonnax shell as a complete unit.

Out of curiosity for the 2001 stock setup with a bearing style reaction tube, is there a bearing or thrust washer in between the shell and the inner race?
Old 06-05-2012, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by HighMileageC4
mrvedit,

I think what some of the pros do with the beast is have the inner race machined and then add a roller bearing in place of the plastic thrust washer.

I think PATC used to sell this and may have replaced it with the Sonnax shell as a complete unit.

Out of curiosity for the 2001 stock setup with a bearing style reaction tube, is there a bearing or thrust washer in between the shell and the inner race?
Thanks for the info.
The plastic thrust washer under the sun shell does not support the sun shell, it only isolates the roller clutch race from the sun shell.

Sorry, don't understand your other Q. In a 2001 stock unit,
the Reaction Carrier Shaft has a thrust washer (with 4 tabs) between it and the sun shell. The torrington bearing started around 2002. I am referring to part #669 on page 102 of the ATSG manual.

--------
I will fill in more details later, but here are some part numbers:

24241248 is the newest 5-pinion front carrier/planetary. About $65 from Amazon.

24241255 is the CORRECT Reaction Carrier Shaft to use with the latest 5-pinion planets available on e.g. Amazon. List price is $52; I got it for $39.

24217328 is the torrington bearing underneath the Reaction Carrier Shaft (and on top of the sun shell). List price is $15, I got it for $11.

I do not yet know the part number for the bearing between the
planet and the Reaction Carrier. The GM picture for a 2008/2009 4L70E lists two different bearings. I ordered both. One turned out to be the 24217328 above. The other is listed as 8642215 which is the bearing for the rear planet. I will go back and try again.
However, much older bearings will work fine with the 24241255.

(Hope you find this info useful, it has cost me $60 so far to get it.) But happy to do so.

More details to follow.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:43 PM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=mrvedit;16389302]Thanks for the info.
The plastic thrust washer under the sun shell does not support the sun shell, it only isolates the roller clutch race from the sun shell.

Sorry, don't understand your other Q. In a 2001 stock unit,
the Reaction Carrier Shaft has a thrust washer (with 4 tabs) between it and the sun shell. The torrington bearing started around 2002. I am referring to part #669 on page 102 of the ATSG manual.

--------

Mrvedit,
I may be confused on this, but I thought GM may have gone to a bearing between the shell and the low roller race some time after 2001/2002, that would replace the plastic thrust washer (The beast uses a plastic washer here). I think the GM shell is hardened, but not up to the durability of Beast/Sonnax.

Than you for all of your help and insight on this.

It looks like there is a larger diameter bearing on the back of the shaft and a smaller one on the front. I already bought a bearing kit for the older style 4 pinion planets, do you think this 4 pinion small bearing between planet and front of the shaft will work?
Old 06-06-2012, 10:44 PM

I recently rebuilt a 2010 4L60E (to install the stronger parts) and I am 99% sure there was just the plain old washer underneath the Sun shell.
Yes, GM hardened the Sun shell starting in 2002; you can tell by the blue heat-treated tabs on it.

I still don't have the right bearing for the 24241255 Reaction Carrier shaft.
I am referring to part #663 on page 102 of the ATSG manual.
Part #24217327 does NOT fit. The part #s in the GM dealer database are not even for that position. The 24217327 I bought today is for a 2001 and fits the old style Reaction Carrier shaft (without torrington bearing).

The issue is that either the Reaction Carrier -OR- the planet must center the bearing so that it doesn't move sideways more than about 0.040.
The 4-pinion carrier will center the bearing, but the 5-pinion will not; instead the Reaction Carrier has to center it.

I have the correct bearing from my 2010 trans (now open) and it centers perfectly into the latest Reaction Carrier. I just cannot get the part number. I will go to the dealer yet again and look up #663 for more years.
Sounds like MRT has the number from Transtar which any shop could order for you. (Sorry for the delay. Fortunately my dealer can get the parts in a few hours; perhaps an advantage of being near Detroit.)
Maybe I will have it tomorrow.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:01 PM

CRUCIAL DIRECTIONS FOR 5-pinion planet upgrade
--------------------------------------------------------------

OK, here are the GM part numbers needed to install the latest style 5-pinion front planet. I believe this will fit any 1995 to 2007+ 4L60E.

24241248 5-pinion front planet carrier
24241255 Reaction Carrier shaft
24217328 Torrington bearing underneath the Reaction Carrier Shaft
(and on top of the sun shell).
24236092 Torrington thrust bearing underneath the planet carrier
(and on top of the Reaction Carrier)

Just to be absolutely sure, I just bought another set of these four parts. (And a bunch of wrong parts from the dealer.)

The 5-pinion carrier and the bearings are cheapest on Amazon ($64, $11 and $4), but the Reaction Carrier shaft is cheaper at the dealer with a $58 list (I got it for $39).

Looking through the dealer's part numbers for different years, it appears this Reaction Carrier shaft came out in 2008. Therefore a 2008 or later 4L60E will only need the 5-pinion planet carrier; the other parts will already be there.

The confusion/trouble occurs because there are THREE (and not just two) variations of the Reaction Carrier shaft. The ATSG Update manual shows that the "New Style" carrier with the torrington bearing came out around 2002. But then another style came out in 2008:

Look carefully and you can see my (rough) measurement of the diameter of the planet's bearing recess. It is 2.618" in the first two styles and then 2.512" in the 2008+ style. Therefore the correct bearing must be used.

I need to check some older pinion carriers at my trans shop, but it appears that GM also changed the bearing area around 2008 for both 4-pinion and 5-pinion carriers. Earlier ones centered the bearing on the pinion and the bearing was not centered by the 2.618" reaction carrier. (The bearing only needs to be centered by the pinion or the reaction carrier, not both). However starting in 2008, the bearing is centered by the Reaction Carrier and not by the pinion carrier as can be seen in these pictures:

Therefore, if you use the 1st or even 2nd style Reaction Carrier with the latest style Pinions carriers, there is nothing to center the bearing and there will be a failure. Interesting the ATSG Update manual page 110 on 5-pinion carriers mentions unexplained failure in this area.

Therefore, according to my research (in conjunction with my local expert trans builder), you CANNOT retrofit the latest 5-pinion planet into any 4L60E without also updating the related parts. It probably was true with old planets, but it is NOT TRUE now.

In summary, these four parts must be used together when upgrading your trans to the current-design 5-pinion front planet. Use of an older Reaction Carrier and/or bearings will invite disaster. I also confirmed that these were the factory parts in the 2010 4L60E I recently rebuilt.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:57 PM
Staging Lane

Mrvedit,

Thanks a million. Your reasearch was invluable. If you dont have an immediate home for your ew parts let meknow.

On to the rear planet, I am pretty sure that sice I have a corvette trans that my 4 planet will have an oil slinger. Would this be reused, or do 5 pinion planets not use this on the back?

Also I saw that performabuilt machines the carriers for better lube. I wonder if other pros deem this necessary?
Old 06-11-2012, 11:05 PM
Teching In

The rear planetary does not re-use the oil slinger. Im not personally a fan of machining planetaries for any purposes. I never seen or heard of any consistency in lube problems within either planetary. It just doesn't seem necessary to me especially considering it may be sacrificing durability. If you need any of the parts shown above, I have some brand new pieces available, just let me know.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 197 Posts

great info here!
Old 06-12-2012, 01:46 PM

2008 AND LATER FRONT PLANETS DO NOT RETROFIT INTO OLDER TRANSMISSIONS
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I confirmed today that 2008 and later 4-pinion and 5-pinion front planets DO NOT retrofit into older transmissions unless you also update to the newest style Reaction Carrier and matching bearings. GM made a change to the bearing area of the front planet somewhere around 2008 so that pre and post 2008 planets cannot be interchanged.

I will post a new thread with all the details and pictures very soon.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mrvedit
2008 AND LATER FRONT PLANETS DO NOT RETROFIT INTO OLDER TRANSMISSIONS
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I confirmed today that 2008 and later 4-pinion and 5-pinion front planets DO NOT retrofit into older transmissions unless you also update to the newest style Reaction Carrier and matching bearings. GM made a change to the bearing area of the front planet somewhere around 2008 so that pre and post 2008 planets cannot be interchanged.

I will post a new thread with all the details and pictures very soon.
This is true. The front planetary, bearing, and reaction carrier must be used as a set. The bearing collar on top of the planetary is taller, and the bearing pocket in the reaction carrier is deeper. These parts cannot be mix matched. If you do mix match, you will never get the snap ring onto the output shaft anyway, and if by some miracle you do, your endplay would be off. but If you're going to buy said planertary gear set, make sure the sets are complete. I Have one of each set here in front of me to verify that.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:00 AM
TECH Resident

good info
Old 11-17-2012, 05:34 PM
Staging Lane

MRVEdit,

I just picked up a set from Amazon. My ATSG manual does not show which way the small bearing goes. It seems like the cupped outer race should go onto the carrier and the smaller diameter flat goes against the planet.

Is your picture above have the small bearing in the carrier correctly?

Thanks again for your help researching this.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:05 AM

I am not exactly understanding your question, but my pictures show the correct assembly. The smaller diameter bearing is NOT flat, the new style has a lip; I am referring to the near-black color bearing between the carrier and the planet. If yours is flat, it is likely the older bearing and wrong one. Check my part numbers again.
Or post some pics.

Quick Reply: 4l60e reaction carrier shaft and 5 pinion planets