Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Third gear only (limp mode) in 94 4l60E

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 10:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Third gear only (limp mode) in 94 4l60E

I was wrong about what I thought the problem was with my car so I still am looking for help.

Car is a 94 LT1 car with a 4L60E and a 3200 stall lockup converter. It starts out in 3rd gear but will downshift into 2nd manually and converter never locks up. I had figured out that we forgot to plug in the main connector into the trans...so I did that and it drove great...and then I turned around in my alley and then it went back to the old issues. It only has 3rd unless I manually downshift to 2nd and the converter does not lock up.

I've been reading that shift solenoids an cause these issues but can they not work...and then all the sudden they work and the car is fine...and then go back to not working? I've also heard the pressure control solenoid can also cause this. So I have some ideas but I don't know what to try first. It has not thrown any codes so I can't check but I don't have a scanner anyway.

So if you guys could help me at least get started so I know what to do first. Thanks.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had this happen to me earlier this year. The problem FOR ME ended up being the computer. I tried chanigng solenoids and then a new tranny and then finally taking it to a shop and have them diagnose the problem
Old 06-01-2012, 11:48 AM

Received 424 Likes on 323 Posts

Limp mode is caused by the computer detecting a malfunction (or very rarely by the computer/PCM being defective); often it is an electrical malfunction with the solenoids.
Yes, solenoids can stick or have so much dirt on their micro-filters that they appear to stick. You could waste a lot time trying to diagnose this. Why not just replace the solenoids ($15 each), the EPS (pressure control solenoid) ($30) and the fluid and see where that gets you. Worse case the trans needs a rebuild which will include those parts anyway.
Frankly, this trans is nearly 20 years old now and if this is the first rebuild, you are very lucky.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:23 PM
TECH Resident

The trans is not 20 years old it was rebuilt not that long ago by the previous owner and he is a member here with about as good of feedback as you can get. I trust the trans is fine but I think I will go ahead and replace the solenoids just in case and hope that fixes it...if not at least it will have new solenoids right? Lol. Thanks for the input guys and if anyone has anything else to add my ears are open.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:17 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Did this start after installing the converter?

Call 888-744-6542

Old 06-01-2012, 06:58 PM
TECH Resident

When I bought the car the trans was blown, so I bought one from a member here who said it worked just fine. His trader rating is over 200 and has never had a negative so I trust that it was working. While I was putting the other trans in I put the converter in as well. Car is also tuned for the converter. Can the solenoids or the pressure switch go bad just from sitting?
Old 06-02-2012, 01:57 PM
TECH Resident

I've been doing some thinking and I really don't want to spend money just throwing a bunch of solenoids and what not and then that not fix the issue. But being a 94 car I don't know where to start to get it scanned. I don't really want to drive it like it is and the auto stores around here don't scan OBD1. However I would consider buying a scan tool because I will probably always have at least one obd1 car but I don't even know where to start. What I do know is that I need to get this car on the road but I don't know what to fix first.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:31 PM

Since you don't want to try just replacing some relatively simple and inexpensive parts, you might try calling a local trans shop to see if they can diagnose it for you.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:27 AM
TECH Resident

Not everyone is made of money and can just go buying stuff not knowing if it's going to work. I know the solenoids are cheap on ebay but I didn't have the time to wait a week or two to get them. The shotgun method is never the right idea. I took my time and figured out a way instead of buying $200 worth of solenoids and switches and the harness.

Regardless I finally was able to get it hooked up to datamaster and found out the 1-2 shift solenoid is faulty.

Originally Posted by mrvedit
Since you don't want to try just replacing some relatively simple and inexpensive parts, you might try calling a local trans shop to see if they can diagnose it for you.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by za355tx
Not everyone is made of money and can just go buying stuff not knowing if it's going to work. I know the solenoids are cheap on ebay but I didn't have the time to wait a week or two to get them. The shotgun method is never the right idea. I took my time and figured out a way instead of buying $200 worth of solenoids and switches and the harness.

Regardless I finally was able to get it hooked up to datamaster and found out the 1-2 shift solenoid is faulty.
GLAD you got it figured out !!
This forum has many threads where people have strange problems and spend weeks trying to figure them out, only to finally solve it with new shift solenoids, as you did. Many others give up perhaps too easily and just get a rebuild, when a few cheap parts might have gotten them another year of life.

Personally I find little "cheap on ebay". New parts are often more expensive that even at the dealer and much more than other much faster sources. Used parts is a different story of course.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:47 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah it was a pain in the *** to figure out but I'm glad I did too. I have been driving it for a few days now and no problems so far. Feels good and runs well. That revmax 3200 is a badass street converter.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ??

Originally Posted by Chaos07
i had this happen to me earlier this year. The problem FOR ME ended up being the computer. I tried chanigng solenoids and then a new tranny and then finally taking it to a shop and have them diagnose the problem

How did you determine it was the computer. I'm having problems on mine and I've checked for 12v at my solenoids, checked the solenoids, and I'm thinking it's my computer
Old 01-18-2015, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by 00keeganws6
How did you determine it was the computer. I'm having problems on mine and I've checked for 12v at my solenoids, checked the solenoids, and I'm thinking it's my computer
Welcome to ls1ech!

Now that you have posted once, you can start your own new thread; look for "New Thread" in the upper left area in the forum.

In other words, let keep this thread "closed" unless the OP (Original Poster) wants to continue it.

Start the new tread by giving us details about your car/truck, what year it is, what problems you have and what you have tried to fix it so far.

Quick Reply: Third gear only (limp mode) in 94 4l60E