Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

driveline/tranny vibration issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 02:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default driveline/tranny vibration issue

First time for me in here as I just bought my first auto ever. For me at least, bought two for the wife. My car has this weird vibration on deceleration from time to time, mostly seems to happen when its cold. It is also not locking up at all, but says it is.

Anyway the car is a 98 Z, 4L80 swap with a jake Tbrake, rebuilt very recently, Revmax 4000 billet stall with lockup option (brand new). The previous owner had some issue's with it right before I got it. Huge vibration, so he replace the rear bushing in the tail shaft slip yoke and the forward U joint. This fixed the rattle your teeth vibration. The current vibration is minimal, but enough to worry me, and if I throw it in N while driving it will usually go away and not come back.

I logged the tranny temp, TCC%, and TCC time, temps never went over 160 on my short 10 mile WOT blasting ride. Lockup happens at 6 mph according to the scan, and it unlocks at 4 mph. Previous owner also had an issue with it not moving under its own power as the filter was 100% clogged from the new rebuild.

My thoughts are that some trash escaped past the clogged filter and are causing both of my current issues and/or possibly the rear U joint and or driveshaft needs re-balancing. So my thought is to tear it apart, send the verter back for a rebuild, completely go through the tranny with a fine tooth comb, and get a new U joint and re-balance the D-shaft. Im a total auto newb so please forgive me if anything seems off and I would love to hear some expert opinion if I'm on the right track.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

idk how much this will help but did you check the rear u-joint cuz u said only the front one was done. also is the tranny tightened to the mount? i had an issue a while back where the mount was loose and would rattle like crazy.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you have a poly or rubber trans mount??
Old 06-12-2012, 07:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can count a handful of times these symptoms have been chased back to engine misfires. That doesn't necessarily mean this is your issue, but it may be worth looking into.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:03 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I havent checked the rear U joint yet, and honestly havent even had time to look under the car other than to say yup, theres the MWC 9". I'll check into those things though, I never start with the easy stuff for some reason, always go straight to the big things, will check into these things today. Thanks guys