Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

locking/unlocking NOT from misfire

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 10:59 PM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

Well, it was locked, 63 mph, TPS 10%, Then it unlocked, then it locked.....I never touched the gas, speed dropped by 5mph.
Lock speed is set at 55, unlock at 50.
So, just odd.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my car used to do that (with the stock converter) as i'd exit the highway coasting up to the offramp it would be locked decelling and then unlock, then lock back for awhile. i havent noticed it since i changed the converter but it might still do it. not sure if its supposed to or not.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:58 AM
On The Tree

so today after a good long drive i lost lockup completely. it would engage and pull the RPM down but any throttle input just results in slippage. was fine when i left work then progressively got worse the longer i drove, trans temp never got over 190°.

spoke with a friend that says its most likely in the transmission or valve body not the converter, but i'd like to know how to figure that out before i get a rebuild and then have the same problem..... makes me want to burn it to the ground.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:00 PM
On The Tree

***UPDATE***

spoke to a friend of mine that works on transmissions for a living, based on his recommendations my car is now fixed.

total cost was $80 (not including fluid because i get it free).

main part is the teckpak tcc repair valve, every transmission shop in town had these for $20 or less. i'm no expert but from what i gathered was that is basically disables ANY slip from the PWM, its line pressure to the TCC clutch after installing so lockup is much firmer (feels like a 5th shift).

you do have to pull the pan and valve body to do it but this was my first time ever pulling a vb and i was completely done with the job in 1.5hrs.

parts used:
teckpak 4l60e tcc repair valve for code p1870 (i wasnt getting a code)
valve body gaskets
deep/truck pan
pan gasket
filter
fluid

if you want a direct replacement pan with a drain plug and a little extra capacity get one for a 4l65e and the corresponding filter, i have no need for a drain plug (i do my changes through a machine) so i went with a regular truck pan which is a little deeper, maybe 1 quart more if that but for the cost it was worth it.

here is the link to the valve:

http://www.teckpak-fitzall.com/spgm.cfm?id=A74741Q
Old 08-09-2012, 06:56 PM
On The Tree

***another update***

car did the same thing today after driving for awhile. pretty much no lockup, it slides down (rpm) but doesnt pull the engine down and any throttle just revs.

it starts on the highway at higher speeds 70mph+ and i have a 7.5"x12" cooler (forget the ratings), but with the converter locked on the highway going that fast i doubt the trans fluid temp is very high.

its been fine for 2 days but it has been a little cooler outside... i'll see how it acts on the way to work tomorrow when its cooler outside again.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:36 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01wss6
Right it won't lock up unless you tap the brake and then press the gas. I think it may be the tuning because it doesn't feel like its slipping.
Mine is still doing this also. I had mine tuned and still have the problem. I don't know what to do from here??????
Old 08-30-2012, 10:33 AM

Received 423 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
Well, it was locked, 63 mph, TPS 10%, Then it unlocked, then it locked.....I never touched the gas, speed dropped by 5mph.
Lock speed is set at 55, unlock at 50.
So, just odd.
Ron, I recall that your unlock TPS is at only 12.5%. That seems really low and might be triggering your unwanted un-locks. Why not set it to e.g. 25% and give it a try. I have mine set to around 40% for unlock.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:52 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by swoop
Mine is still doing this also. I had mine tuned and still have the problem. I don't know what to do from here??????
I found it!!!!! damn brake light switch was loose.

Quick Reply: locking/unlocking NOT from misfire