Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pro Advice 4L60e Transgo Shim w billet servo.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 11:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro Advice 4L60e Transgo Shim w billet servo.

I had 4th gear go weak from WOT 3-4 shifts. This was with vette 2nd and 4th servo and one gold shim from transgo shift kit on 2nd servo.

I upgraded to a Sonnax billet 4th servo and kept shim in 2nd servo. Got 4 th back for about a year.

3-4 cltches recently wore and I will rebuild trans soon.

In addition, I bought sonnax billet 2-3 servo for rebuild. Should I use the trango shim with both billet 2-3 and 4th servos?

I dont think the shim is really needed since sonnax 4 th servo reduces pin travel by. 050 and the Trango shim measures. 055 so the 4th servo seems to move the pin about as much as the shim pushes on the servo, so I think they are both moving the pin by similar amount.

Best I can tell, they both dont add to reduce the pin travel and the one sets overall travel. I think......

Eyballing the cover movement the cover pushes in about an 8th inch and band is reasonably tight with good shaft movement.

So with new sonnax 2nd servi, I am leaning toward leaving the shim out. Is this correct?
Old 07-13-2012, 03:25 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

With the Sonnax second apply servo you get the longer pin "that must" be shortened to get the right 2-4 band clearence. When you grind the pin, do it carefully as per instructions, making sure that you keep the tip of the pin round just like the stock apply pin, and not removing to much material at a time. Doing this will give you the right band clearence, same as the shim from TransGo was doing here. The shim now is not necessary.

Last edited by PBA; 07-15-2012 at 02:56 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Dana.

What is the best method to grind the pin, file, sand paper, bench grinder?

I think my stock pin may be the right length, I could re use but the sonnax pin has the extra seals, so is better.

What is best travel?
I think spec is .075 - .125 should I run as close to. 075 as possible?
Old 07-15-2012, 02:56 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

Atart with the grinder, then use sandpaper to give it a nice smooth and round tip. Try for .075". The reason for the reduced clearence is to improve the 2-3 shift.

Quick Reply: Pro Advice 4L60e Transgo Shim w billet servo.