Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Start Car w/ No Driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 08:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Start Car w/ No Driveshaft

OK guys I'm pretty sure I cant do it but I thought I'd ask. My H/C/I+++ build is nearing completion except for the MWC 9". I would like to start it and get the coolant, trans fluid, and any leaks sorted and see if I can get it to idle.

The trans seals around the driveshaft, right? If it's not there I assume it will dump trans fluid if I start it. If I just hang the new DS in the trans with no connection to the pinion will the pressure spit the DS out? Anyone have a way to do this or is it not advisable? I just dont know how long I'll be waiting on the 9" and I dont want to stop making progress.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:44 AM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

shouldnt spit it out but if you are concerned just ziptie it in there around the tq arm mount. just remember to make sure its in park and it stays there! And yes it will dump 100% of the oil on the ground without in in place
Old 07-29-2012, 10:31 AM
TECH Resident

I cant tell from your post how sure you are about it spitting it out. I dont have a TA right now either as I have no rear end. I'm thinking I could prop the DS against a cinder block or something.

The trans has been drained and one of the things I want to do is fill it up. . .I'm not sure if it would be bad to start it and not shift it through all the gears to get fluid in those circuits fairly quickly.

I appreciate your comments.

Steve
Old 07-29-2012, 02:25 PM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

run a long *** ziptie around the crossmember and through the u-joint if you are worried about it, it wont spit it out but on the odd chance it falls out from vibration or just to be a dick you wouldnt have to worry about it. Otherwise I have a plastic tailshaft plug I got from harbor freight for like $8 that is just for this purpose, then you could run it through the gears all you want
Old 07-29-2012, 05:34 PM
TECH Resident

Hey thanks Grr, I appreciate it. Hopefully my HF has one in stock, otherwise I'll ziptie it in. . .learn something new on here every day.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:46 PM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

http://www.harborfreight.com/transmi...ool-98060.html

There you go

Quick Reply: Start Car w/ No Driveshaft