Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E rebuild help

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 01:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E rebuild help

So I rebuilt my 4L60E and was wondering one thing, when I hand spin the input shaft clockwise the output shaft spin clockwise with it, when I spin the input shaft counter clockwise the output shaft does not spin, is this correct.

Last edited by AK FULL THROTTLE; 08-07-2012 at 02:13 AM.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:26 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

It should still turn, but it will be a lot harder to turn.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:51 PM
Teching In

Not sure if I need to tear down again, Has a slight squeak when you turn it to the right and the output shaft turns with it, when I turn it to the left there is no squeak, it is harder but the output shaft does not turn with it, the output shaft does start to and then stops. Now if I grab the output shaft and spin it the input shaft follows...There is no fluid in this transmission yet so the packs do not have pressure yet if this changes anything.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:42 PM
Launching!

The squeak is you hear is most likely the low reverse sprag. You usually dont hear it when you just turn the input shaft. Pull up on the input shaft and make sure you have some end play. Also you should be able to turn the input & output independently of each other. Grab the output and turn with a pair of pliers and the input by hand if it does you should be all good, if not then you will need to take the trans apart.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:12 AM
Teching In

So I have it all back together and it shifts perfectly through all gears. I want to go ahead post how things went so others with the same issue can find some help since I went through a lot of posts and speaking to several tranny shops that all told me that the output shaft must turn with the input shaft both ways, this is wrong. I finally spoke to Hansen Transmission here in Alaska and was told what I had was right and to go ahead and install it, the output sprag stops the output shaft from turning when the input shaft is turned counter clockwise. So this is how mine went..turn the input shaft clockwise and the output follows with a squeak which is normal because of the sprag, turn the input counter clockwise and the output does not turn and there is no squeak.. Also there is not play up and down with the input shaft but there in and out. This worked for me and was confirmed by Hansen Transmission and also transdeals4u which is where I purchased the Beast sun shell and Gasket kit on Ebay, they were great to deal with and cheap.. Thanks guys for jumping in on this thread..
Old 08-17-2012, 06:45 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah I need to fix third gear but have never taken one apart. So I guess I just need to know how to go about this and what tools may be needed.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:47 PM
Teching In

I did not use any special tools.

Quick Reply: 4L60E rebuild help