Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to tell if frictions/steels need replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 08:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to tell if frictions/steels need replaced?

Just like the title says....

I would like to know how to tell if the frictions/steels need replaced.

Im guessing you just measure the frictions and/or entire clutch pack with dial indicator.... but idk.

Obviously, more often than not you can tell immediately (black frictions and hot spots on steels, most common in the 4l60e).

The reason i ask is i bought a junkyard 4l80e and everything looks great! I can still read Borg Warner on every friction and there are no hot spots on the steels.... I normally just always replace them since im already in the trans, but it just seems crazy to replace them if its not needed.

Thanks for any info!

Last edited by 1BADLS1tuner; 08-07-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Then the frictions are probably good to go, but IMO if you're already that far into it, I would replace the frictions with some OEM Hi-Energy frictions and some new OEM steels and you're good to go. What's the application for the 80e?
Old 08-07-2012, 09:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by eLiT3SnIpEz
Then the frictions are probably good to go, but IMO if you're already that far into it, I would replace the frictions with some OEM Hi-Energy frictions and some new OEM steels and you're good to go. What's the application for the 80e?
When i bought the 80e I ordered new steels/frictions, bands, gaskets, seals, ect...... and a transgo HD2 kit.

I am just use to the 60e and always have to replace frictions and steels, hahahahaha....

It will be going into a 68 GMC stepside with a turbo 5.3, Dave at yank is building a converter for me
Old 08-07-2012, 10:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1BADLS1tuner
When i bought the 80e I ordered new steels/frictions, bands, gaskets, seals, ect...... and a transgo HD2 kit.

I am just use to the 60e and always have to replace frictions and steels, hahahahaha....

It will be going into a 68 GMC stepside with a turbo 5.3, Dave at yank is building a converter for me
Ah, well if you already have the new frictions and steels, definitely go with them.

Yeah 60's definitely burn up clutches faster, and there's more of them in there to sift through

Look into making a few hydraulic improvements to the trans while you have it apart, that will definitely help improve the power capacity of it over a stock 80 setup. I don't know your building experience so sorry if that kind of advice offends you.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:54 PM
On The Tree

Ah, well if you already have the new frictions and steels, definitely go with them.

Yeah 60's definitely burn up clutches faster, and there's more of them in there to sift through

Look into making a few hydraulic improvements to the trans while you have it apart, that will definitely help improve the power capacity of it over a stock 80 setup. I don't know your building experience so sorry if that kind of advice offends you.
No offense taken... I know ALOT more about the 60e than the 80e

Im still waiting on the 34 element spag to get here....

As far as hydrolic modifications all i am doing is what they reccomend you do for the transgo kit.....

Do you have any other suggestions?
Old 08-08-2012, 02:27 AM
TECH Resident

Dual feed the third gear clutches, replace boost valve with something like a Sonnax piece, separator plate mods, but that should be covered with the Trans-Go kit
Old 08-08-2012, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

Dual feed the third gear clutches, replace boost valve with something like a Sonnax piece, separator plate mods, but that should be covered with the Trans-Go kit
yep got all that covered!

Thanks!