Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80E rear seal, yoke leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L80E rear seal, yoke leak

I have a 2006 chevy express van and from what I have read I believe I have a rear seal/bushing yoke area leak. I cannot seem to find a DIY on doing this. Do you have to completely remove the transmission? I am trying to figure out if this is something I can do myself or need a mechanic.

I am confident I have the ability to change the wire harness and drop the pan and change the filter. But if it is much more difficult I will have someone else do it.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Easy job. Remove your drive shaft, unbolt the tail housing (6 15mm bolts), use a chisel or a flat head screwdriver with a hammer and pick your way around the edge of the seal. Should be pretty quick to remove. If you need to replace the bushing, you'll need a bushing driver in the proper size. If it's the seal, grab a new one from wherever you find one at, gently hammer it back in until it's flat against the tail housing.

I'd suggest replacing the lathe cut o-ring around the tail housing where it mates to the case as well, make sure you have it fully seated around the opening of the tail housing.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

No need to unbolt the tail for a seal only replacement.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:08 AM

So unbolting the tail would be to do the bushing and o-ring? Also, how can I tell if the bushing needs to be replaced?
Old 08-24-2012, 05:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Play in the front DS yoke. If its a high mileage unit, its a good idea anyway IMO.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Play in the front DS yoke. If its a high mileage unit, its a good idea anyway IMO.
Im at 110k miles, I was thinking I would replace it anyways but not exactly sure how to do so, would i need to take the housing to a shop and have them press it in?
Old 08-26-2012, 01:55 AM

I'm going to warn you that if the bushing in your housing is silver in color it would be best to buy an earlier housing and then do the repairs you have planned. The late housings using the silver bushings generally have issues with bushings fitting correctly. I have seen some aftermarket solid brass ones made but I personally have not had very good luck using them. Also if and when you replace the bushing make sure to line up the lube hole! Hope this helps. Vince
Old 08-26-2012, 03:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
No need to unbolt the tail for a seal only replacement.
No, but it doesn't take but 30 seconds and it makes it easier and quicker to remove and replace the seal, generally.

Originally Posted by Vince B
I'm going to warn you that if the bushing in your housing is silver in color it would be best to buy an earlier housing and then do the repairs you have planned. The late housings using the silver bushings generally have issues with bushings fitting correctly. I have seen some aftermarket solid brass ones made but I personally have not had very good luck using them. Also if and when you replace the bushing make sure to line up the lube hole! Hope this helps. Vince
No kidding, we've had some of those tails that have made the new bushing simply fall through the bore, so they're scrapped.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by eLiT3SnIpEz
No kidding, we've had some of those tails that have made the new bushing simply fall through the bore, so they're scrapped.
From my understanding there are a total of three different dimensions of the inner diameter of that extension housing. The housings with the bronze factory bushing are the only ones I will use. Personally I have been burnt by the solid brass ones made by omega when tying to save a tail with the silver bushing. Not sure on the material of the silver bushing but I don't think its babbit. So I guess you just confirmed what I have posted!!!!
Old 08-27-2012, 10:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

i noticed that on an 04 model, new bushing was loose, then i looked up in the book and one wasnt offered for 04-strange
i peened the inner surface of the housing, and a little on the outer surface of a bushing, and red locktite, never failed, but it was for my own use

Quick Reply: 4L80E rear seal, yoke leak