Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help mast 6l90 limp mode

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 11:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help mast 6l90 limp mode

Hi everyone I'm a new member but long time lurker there is a ton of info and the search button has found all my answers until now
I have just finished my conversion of a 1991 gmc k30 to a 2008 ly6 with a 6l90 running the mast performance package
I am having problems with my TCM not recognizing the engine ECM BCM or ABS I am aware that the BCM and abs modules are not installed in the truck but those are the 3 codes that I get from the trans with a tech 2 my Mac task just gives me U0100 no communication to ECM
I have contacted Mast and they have been very helpful so far they had me change some pin locations on the LAN wires but it still has the trans locked in 3rd gear but it being Friday night I can't call them back untill Monday
I am hoping someone has had a similar problem and can point me in the right direction cause I am dieing to take her out for a drive after 4 months in the garage
I can clear the 3 codes from the TCM but as soon as I make a gear selection they return
Would dealer reprogramming of the TCM do any good?
Thanks in advance
Old 08-25-2012, 04:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the trans the 08 unit that came with the LY6? Provided it has an 08 factory program in it getting it reprogrammed by a dealer wont make any difference.

Would assume the MAST harness simply connects their ECM to the TCM via the CAN - maybe they can run a diagnostic on their ECM that tells whether it is seeing the TCM messages. MAST know this setup better than most so am sure they will get it figured.

Originally Posted by LsCrewcab
Hi everyone I'm a new member but long time lurker there is a ton of info and the search button has found all my answers until now
I have just finished my conversion of a 1991 gmc k30 to a 2008 ly6 with a 6l90 running the mast performance package
I am having problems with my TCM not recognizing the engine ECM BCM or ABS I am aware that the BCM and abs modules are not installed in the truck but those are the 3 codes that I get from the trans with a tech 2 my Mac task just gives me U0100 no communication to ECM
I have contacted Mast and they have been very helpful so far they had me change some pin locations on the LAN wires but it still has the trans locked in 3rd gear but it being Friday night I can't call them back untill Monday
I am hoping someone has had a similar problem and can point me in the right direction cause I am dieing to take her out for a drive after 4 months in the garage
I can clear the 3 codes from the TCM but as soon as I make a gear selection they return
Would dealer reprogramming of the TCM do any good?
Thanks in advance
Old 08-25-2012, 11:42 AM
Teching In

Actually the trans is from a 2010 van not sure if that makes a difference
Old 08-25-2012, 10:44 PM
Teching In

Back to the top
Old 08-25-2012, 10:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well the CAN lines run from the ECM to the TCM then up to the BCM if you had one and on to the next module in line. So after the TCM your wires should go to your ALDL plug. Most say you need a 1K ohm resistor across the brown and brown/black wires at the ALDL plug signifying the end of the CAN communications lines.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:45 AM
TECH Resident

Actually the trans is from a 2010 van not sure if that makes a difference
Trans was a take out? Worth checking with MAST to ensure their ECM is tested/confirmed with a '10 trans. You have access to EFIlive tuning software?
Old 08-26-2012, 02:18 AM
Teching In

I've been doing some serious searching on this issue and I found a post on efi forum that said the same codes I had and they fixed it with a 2007-2009 TCM with corvette tune
I don't have access to EFIlive. But I think I might need to find it
Anybody recommend a tuner to call who might know something about this?
Old 08-26-2012, 02:19 AM
Teching In

Here is a link to the thread I found on efi
http://forum.efilive.com/archive/index.php/t-18364.html
Old 08-26-2012, 02:21 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1989GTA
Well the CAN lines run from the ECM to the TCM then up to the BCM if you had one and on to the next module in line. So after the TCM your wires should go to your ALDL plug. Most say you need a 1K ohm resistor across the brown and brown/black wires at the ALDL plug signifying the end of the CAN communications lines.
I'm pretty sure that the mast harness has something along those lines in it
Old 08-26-2012, 02:23 AM
Teching In

I originally ordered their setup for a 2010 van which I had for a donor

Originally Posted by rsz288
Trans was a take out? Worth checking with MAST to ensure their ECM is tested/confirmed with a '10 trans. You have access to EFIlive tuning software?

Last edited by LsCrewcab; 08-26-2012 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-26-2012, 03:55 AM
TECH Resident

Several choices:

Buy a new 2009 or earlier controller. These are about $500 and then will require a dealer base line program load not to mention the changeover effort.

Get MAST to add in the missing messages for ABS/BMC to their controller.

Get EFIlive to disable the fault codes. Efilive is probably better value than a controller swap.

Dont try and convert the '10 controller to an earlier year. The result is usually a brick.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:11 AM
Teching In

That's pretty much what I have gathered
I'm thinking that the efi is the best choice because I am sure I will need custom tuning to get good shifting with 4:10 gears and 38" tires but tuning is a whole new thing to me

Knowing what I know now I may have gone a different route then mast I did some research at the time and everyone seemed to point to them as the leaders in this technology I wanted plug and play with out these issues and there gauge drivers is what sold me but I would rather have had the hassle of installing senders than this cause at least I would have known how to do that
I guess I will have to see what mast can do with it since they sold me a "plug and play" system for a 2010!
Old 08-28-2012, 01:31 AM
Teching In

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the 2007-9 and 2010 up TCM

I called mast today and they said this is the first they have heard of this problem and would do some research and get back to me
Old 09-07-2012, 10:12 PM
Teching In

So from what I have gathered the 2010 has a different operating system
Since I don't have access to efi live and can not locate a 2007-9 TCM except a blank one from the dealer that needs to be connected to a gm ecm to be programed I have pulled the TCM and shipped it to Mast they should have received it on Wed I called left a voice mail to see if it got there ok but no return call!!!
It definitely is frustrating looking at my truck all ready to go and cant even start it up
Old 09-24-2012, 09:06 PM
Teching In

So my frustrations with Mast Motorsports are about to explode they have had my TCM for over 2 weeks now and after one full week of no returned or answered phone calls I spoke with Damien who now is saying they are "not a repair shop" "what do you want me to do with it" and they haven't looked at it and also said that they have no way of doing anything with the TCM after a short and very disappointing phone call with him I called back and spoke with Chris the guy who sold me the system and told him I will be returning there product if this isn't sorted out this week and which point he said there are no returns on open or used parts but i explained that this system won't work and there tech guy not returning my calls

Last edited by LsCrewcab; 10-06-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:31 PM
Teching In

Update
They called and said they can not find a way for the 2010 tcm to work and are going to source me a 2007-9 tcm the first of the week. So now I will have to keep waiting to see what happens
Old 10-07-2012, 01:54 AM
TECH Resident

Update
They called and said they can not find a way for the 2010 tcm to work and are going to source me a 2007-9 tcm the first of the week. So now I will have to keep waiting to see what happens
Sounds like they are coming clean now and admitting their ECM doesnt work with 10+ trans controllers. You get that impression?
Old 10-22-2012, 07:31 PM
Teching In

Yeah they confirmed that actually
And just passed me on to a guy who has one for sale
As I have said not a fan of there customer service and its not looking good for any repeat business
Too bad cause I could have sold at least a half dozen more of there setup had it worked out
Old 10-23-2012, 01:41 PM
Teching In

Default Hope this works

Hello
I John from strokerengine.com
I purchase a new LS3 430Hp the 6L90E and the MAST controller and cam kit.
Then sent the whole thing to China.
After much effort my guy over there found there was no way the trans was ever going to work
I called GM Tech and they said the GM dealer technician has to take the VIN number from the Cadillac Escalade the new transmission is intended to replace and use it to unlock the TCM in the new transmission.
They said "good luck trying to do it any other way".
Like you I spend a good deal of time talking to Damien. He is a good guy. This problem was something new to them back in July when I introduce it. He and his tech people went to work on it. Plan to talk to him again today. Got voice mail so can't update you right now.
What I'm planning to do is buy an 2009 Corvette TCM and send it to Street and Performance to be reprogrammed.
Then send it over to China.
We all hope this will solve the problem.
http://www.strokerengine.com/australia.html
Old 10-23-2012, 01:59 PM
Teching In

Hi all,

I am that guy in China....John, thanks for mentioning that!

If 10 and newer TCM won't work, then I guess the only way is to buy a 2009 Crovette TCM and install on it.

according to gmpartdirect, 2009 Corvette does not use 6L90E, then it must be the 6L80E. I knew both 6L90E and 6L80E share the same valve body U104740A, and both using T43 TCM, so I am assuming that TCM from a 2009 Corvette will fit onto my 2012 Cadillac 6L90E....

Anyway, I hope this problem will be solved fast......it is already taking too long.

Tony

Quick Reply: Help mast 6l90 limp mode