Sponsored by:

2001 C5 4L60E (A4) with Heads and Cam Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 11:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 C5 4L60E (A4) with Heads and Cam Help

Hello Everyone,

I posted the below on the Corvette forum also- But you guys help me a ton here on ls1Tech also. I am reading through threads here now to "teach" myself answer to my questions below. But any personal experiences or suggestion are welcome, Thanks.

With the help of many of you from here and Ls1Tech, I am moving forward with a Head and Cam swap on my C5. This is my nice day, street car. I have a turbo mustang I "race" and a Corolla for crappy weather and driving the kids around. Well someone gave me a set of 243 heads for free. So the power freak I am I decided to go for it, but figured mine as well do cam and headers to. With that said, I don’t know much about the 4L60E trans in the Corvette. I was wondering how strong they are? If I am going to surpass its strength with this upgrade I am doing, I might hold off for a little bit. But if you guys think I will get a few years out of it. Since I will drive maybe 5k a year, then I will install the H/C and replace trans when it goes. Also I was doing research on the forum to educate myself before asking you guys , a lot of the treads I found are like 1,2,3 years old. So that’s why I am asking, seeing if anything has changed. Do you guys suggest a Trans cooler, and or a Shift kit at this point? I know the tune can handle the trans but in the older threads I see it being debated, what’s the "the right way" now in 2012 . Here are my details, to help with suggestions.

2001 convertible
3.15 Rear
Stock Stall
Pat G Small Custom cam 222/226 .597”/.605” 114LSA +4 advance
243 Heads sent to Texas Speed for Port and Polish and Valve Job and Milling
Probably 11.2 -11.5 compressions
Long tube Headers with catted X pipe
Corsa Cat back
Vortex Breathless Performance intake.
and a GOOD tune.

Let me know your thoughts? Will it live for a while? Will it blow right up? Is there anything I should do to help it live longer?

Thanks Guys- Wes
Old 08-28-2012, 02:47 PM

Received 388 Likes on 297 Posts

I'm no expert, but IMO, you are "almost" good to go. I think a full shift-kit is an overkill for you, but a performance Boost valve would be highly recommended and likely to give you trans more life:

http://www.sonnax.com/publications/t...timum-pressure

Sonnax makes a huge range of high respected parts and the part you need is # 4L60E-LB1. It only costs about $30 and only requires dropping the pan to install.

http://www.sonnax.com/system/announc...0E-LB1-LB2.pdf
http://www.sonnax.com/system/instruc...LB1-LB2-IN.pdf

This will firm up your shifts a bit, but mostly it will reduce slippage during shifts and under high load; and slippage is what quickly ruins an auto like the 4l60e.

GM made improvements starting around 2002, such as a reinforced sun shell, to handle the increased power of the LS1 engine. I don't know whether your 2001 trans has them all, but I suspect you trans is much stronger than e.g. a 1995 4L60E.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for info. Anyone else have suggestions? Thanks in advance

Quick Reply: 2001 C5 4L60E (A4) with Heads and Cam Help