Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80e Stalls Car When Put in Drive??

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So I could possibly have an issue where that wire is getting grounded somewhere. Any other ideas?

Thanks!
Old 09-12-2012, 02:02 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I would put a pressure gauge on the trans and see what you have for pressure.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jake's Performance
I would put a pressure gauge on the trans and see what you have for pressure.
I don't have that equipment but I can look into it. Where would I want to check the pressure and what should it be? I'm guessing a pressure issue would indicate a pump problem?

Thanks for the help! I'll be calling you guys to order parts for the race car soon
Old 10-05-2012, 08:45 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just came across this thread-my 4l80 has been doing pretty much the same thing for about 6 months now. It started off random and infrequent, then started doing it more often. It seemed maybe that it had to be fully warmed up for it to happen. I asked around and did a bunch of online searching and the consensus was it had to either be the valve body or the pump (as has been mentioned in this thread)

A couple months ago I decided I wanted it fixed so I did a pressure test and it checked out fine. So thinking it must be the valve body instead of the pump, I bought a brand new GM valve body and swapped it out. On the way back from a 10 mile or so test drive I came to a stop sign and the converter locked and stalled the motor. Needless to say I was disappointed!

The next few times I drove it, it acted fine-no probs whatsoever. Then out of nowhere it started doing it but only in reverse and pretty much anytime I went into reverse.

Two days ago I pulled a trailer about 20 miles to pick up a car and bring it back. It ran fine until I got off the highway at my destination then at the top of the offramp it locked and stalled the motor. During the course of backing up/pulling up to get the trailer into position to load the car, I bet it stalled the motor 20 times-It was doing it in forward AND reverse. Anyways, a few miles into the trip home, with a loaded trailer, something blew (I am assuming it blew out the front seal) and sprayed a lot of fluid out. I shut it down and pulled over and called for help. Ended up towing it home on a trailer and when I started it up to see if it would pull itself up on the trailer the converter was locked then but with a lot of throttle it did go onto the trailer.

I am going to just pull it and replace it with my "built" trans so I cant say for sure but I am pretty convinced it was a pump issue. Eventually I will strip it down and go thru it and replace the pump and hopefully it will work fine then.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I ended up fixing this! I ran two eight gauge grounds right from the battery to the transmission and I redid the power and ground connections for my trans computer and all is well now!
Old 10-26-2012, 07:11 PM
LS6
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good findings to learn from

Quick Reply: 4L80e Stalls Car When Put in Drive??