Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is changing transmission fluid bad if the transmission needs a rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 06:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is changing transmission fluid bad if the transmission needs a rebuild?

Car: 2003 Chevy.
My automatic transmission is shifting late! Like it would take a sec or 2 to shift to the next gear. I heard it could be due to 2 things, either the fluid and filter needs to be changed or the transmission needs to be rebuild. But then i heard that if the transmission needs to be rebuild then changing the fluid will worsen the problem,therefore changing the filter and fluid is a bad idea IF the transmission is faulty. Is this true??

How can i be certain that the transmission needs to be rebuild?! The only symptom i have is a slightly delayed shifting (only when driving). I know another way is to check if the fluid is brownish or smells burnt. But the problem is the car was with someone else before me and i think he "added" fluid to it cz it was leaking...therefore the transmission fluid is clear and not burnt (clean).

Is there any other way to know if i really need a rebuild b4 i shell out mega bucks?!

And of course my first question... does changing fluid and filter really harm the transmission if it is faulty?

Last edited by Freefallin; 09-11-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my philosophy when buying something used:

Service everything!

New Filters, New Fluids (Everywhere), Inspect and Lube Wheel bearings if serviceable, Lube Chassis, Inspect Everything you can see, Flush Radiator, Install new hoses (keep old ones for emergency repairs) same for Belts!

You get the idea! That way, you know what your starting point is!

Joe

PS. It is true that they say dont change your fluid if the tranny is going bad. I am not sure I believe in that but others can chime in.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The reason many people say to not change the fluid is that the clutch material in the fluid is helping the transmission clutch packs hold and maintain a shift. New fluid will obviously be clean so that wouldn't happen. Now with that said I would change the fluid just dont do a full flush. When you drop the pan you only empty about half of the tranny's fluid out because the rest is in the converter.

I'd replace the fluid and filter and see what happens it may fix the issue, if it doesnt the trans is on borrowed time anyway...

Quick Reply: Is changing transmission fluid bad if the transmission needs a rebuild?