Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling Transmission...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004 | 05:00 PM
On The Tree

Default Pulling Transmission...

So I have been trying to get my tranny out since last wednsday, I have everything out and Im down to the last 3 bolts on the flex plate holding the converter in...NONE of them will budge! it seems like a 9\16, and a 15mm open ended wrench will not work at all like both of them are loose on the end of the bolt and are doing nothing, I hold the crank pully while my buddy tried the wrench to get it off...I have some gear wrenches that I haveny tried yet I plan on it tomarrow, before I pack it up and put everything back together to just take it to someone. The purpose was to take it out and have it upgraded so it hold the VIG3600 converter and the new power the car is making. While the tranny is being built I was gonna put the converter in and then just wait for the tranns to come back..now, what can I do, I am doing this to learn almost everything, what wrenches do I need, special tools, or ANYTHING that can possibly help me get these last 3 bolts off. Can I take the tranny out and leave that in, or what??/????? I have heated the bolts with a tourch please please please I need some help tomarrow is my last day/night before I put it all back together and pay the insane price of labor for them to doit...

THANKS!
Old 04-11-2004 | 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not sure what bolts you have in it, but the stockers were 8mm allen heads. If a 9/16 and 15mm wont work did you try a 14mm?

If you do manage to get it out, DO NOT install your new converter on the flex plate while your tranny is at the shop. The converter needs to be installed on the tranny FIRST and then install the tranny to the engine. Ensuring the converter is fully splined and seated on the input shaft and pump housing lugs is CRITICAL.

Aside from your converter bolts (since they dont seem to be stock), the most helpful tools for removal/installation are a 13mm swivel socket and a long extension. These make it a breeze to remove the 8 bell housing bolts. Other than that you just need your standard ratchets, extensions, 15mm socket (cross member), 18mm socket (tranny mount nut), etc...
Old 04-11-2004 | 07:35 PM
On The Tree

thanks alot man!!!! The bolts are STOCK on the transmission so i have no idea but thank you Hope ot get it out tomarrow.
Old 04-11-2004 | 08:45 PM

Below is a great torque converter install link.

http://www.modernmusclecars.net/articles/TCinstall/

John