Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thank you Yank Converters for "over and beyond" service

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 08:05 PM

Received 424 Likes on 323 Posts

Default Thank you Yank Converters for "over and beyond" service

I would like to thank Dave at Yank Converters for his exceptional service which was over-and-beyond what I expected and would have even been considered reasonable. Due to my experiments in trying out different 4L60E builds, I damaged my fairly new SS3600. My mistake caused the TCC clutch to overheat and begin dragging. (My local trans guy called the clearly burnt converter paint the "ring of fire".) I called Dave and he explained that I had somehow applied the TCC at full throttle and damaged it. He immediately offered to repair it "one time" at no charge other than shipping. I knew I had not applied the TCC at WOT, but his offer made that a mute point. I removed the pump from the trans and discovered a modification had failed and likely damaged the converter. I confessed that to Dave, but he stuck with his offer. So, thank you Dave for the complimentary repair despite my mistake.

Having read nearly every transmission thread here for well over a year, I know this is typical of Yank's exceptional service. Their attitude is clearly: If there is any doubt whether the customer is right, then assume the custom is right. It is the way to build customer loyalty.

Ted.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I surely also know where to buy my next converter :-)

A question:
Why will the TCC burn out at WOT if lockup is engaged?
I thought that would only cool down the converter since a lockup-engaged converter will not slip as much as if it was unlocked. It will not generate heat... At least not as much heat as if it was not locked...
I am no expert, that's why my stupid question ;-)

Or am I totally misunderstanding the whole post? *g*
Old 11-25-2012, 10:13 AM

Received 424 Likes on 323 Posts

The converters people typically use in the cars have only a single friction disk for the TCC. They are not designed to be engaged at WOT and absolutely must NOT be engaged in the middle of a WOT run. For Dyno runs some people engage them at low throttle and gradually run up to WOT, but even that is hard on the TCC and should be limited.
So think of the clutch in a manual car; if you have too much power it will slip and quickly self destruct. Same with the TCC.

There are triple clutch converters which are designed to have the TCC engaged at WOT. They are often used on e.g. heavy duty pickup trucks and are needed to tow heavy loads, sometimes at WOT. These converters are heavier and more expensive.

I have heard of people using triple clutch converters in their 4L80E track cars, but don't know the details.

Details of my mistake: I started with a new 2010 trans which has an input shaft speed sensor (ISS). I disassembled the entire trans and threw out the speed sensor knowing my PCM didn't support it. On assembly, I saw that the missing speed sensor left a big hole in the TCC hydraulic line. Since a new speed sensor was $150, I fabricated a rubber seal and a metal bracket to hold it in place. Well, the pressure and heat deformed my rubber seal; I suspect the TCC apply pressure was therefore very weak, causing the TCC to slip during routine highway driving and overheat.

I then discovered that GM sells an "ISS Hole Plug" for $10 which takes the place of the speed sensor.
In case anyone needs one, the GM part number is: 24234175.

So, thanks again to Dave at Yank Converters for the exceptional service.
(And for explaining to me everything -and more- that I just posted about converters.)
Old 11-27-2012, 08:32 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We Thank you for trusting Yank products

Quick Reply: Thank you Yank Converters for "over and beyond" service