Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another one of those: Converter brand choice between CircleD, Yank, and FTI

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 11:27 AM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Jake is referring to one of our converters. It was a 310mm 13” multi disk converter. Not entirely sure what happened. We built him a stock style unit with a multi disk upgrade. We had an internal communication problem and our builder assumed it was just a stock type unit with a multi disk. What we did not do is use a furnace brazed turbine and re-enforce it with TIG welding. There was not a converter failure, it was simply in for a cut and clean. We have since upgraded Josh to a Dodge/4L80 conversion and it is working very well with his power and weight. We made a mistake, took care of it and made the customer happy.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is my converter Jake posted the pictures of. Like Chris said, everything has been done to make me a very happy customer.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:41 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Circle-D
Jake is referring to one of our converters. It was a 310mm 13” multi disk converter. Not entirely sure what happened. We built him a stock style unit with a multi disk upgrade. We had an internal communication problem and our builder assumed it was just a stock type unit with a multi disk. What we did not do is use a furnace brazed turbine and re-enforce it with TIG welding. There was not a converter failure, it was simply in for a cut and clean. We have since upgraded Josh to a Dodge/4L80 conversion and it is working very well with his power and weight. We made a mistake, took care of it and made the customer happy.
I appreciate you stepping in and giving the details.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:28 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Thanks for that, Chris.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have heard great things from all 3 brands mentioned..i happen to have a circle D 5c..I luv it! before that had a TCI..HUGE improvement going with the 5c..feels tight but hits hard when mashed
Old 12-01-2012, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake's Performance
FTI would be my choice as well based on what we've seen.
Jake's must of seen more of his share of bad converter builds from companies other than FTI for him to make this statement.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:50 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Monte4ever
Jake's must of seen more of his share of bad converter builds from companies other than FTI for him to make this statement.
Yes. We have seen a few less than satisfactory converter builds from various vendors.

There are dozens of good converter companies in the industry, who are turning out product that is as advertised, works well, and I wouldn't hesitate to refer a customer to.

TCS, Hughes, PTC, Coan, Trans Specialties, Precision Industries, Pro-Torque to name just a few.

I have an issue with above converter because the whole story reeks of BS. Anybody with half a brain and a pulse should recognize that they are putting a billet cover triple disc on a converter, it's probably not for light duty usage. I doubt this one "slipped through" particularly after speaking with others in the industry.

I'm glad Josh is happy with it now. He never would have known it was substandard until it rolled the fins over had we not had to do a cut/clean.

I like to refer customers to smaller innovative businesses and if they are in Texas, that's even better. However this is one company we no longer recommend and have even considered not offering a warranty on our units when they are used.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wasn't going to openly post it but it is obvious the "cat is out of the bag".

I have *never* heard this happening with one of the companies Jake posted ^, and one more reason why I will keep recommending PTC well above the majority. I will never step in a thread and say don't buy XXXX converter, especially if it is a sponsor, but if asked my opinion I will give it and back it with the reasons, making sure not to step on toes.

Last edited by lemons12; 12-04-2012 at 12:00 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:50 PM
TECH Addict

PTC is badass. I think Koolrayz is running there converters and has around 1% slip....making it very efficient. He received it that way the first time.

They did one for my 4l60e cam car, and it dropped almost a whole second leaving off idle, and was getting faster every weekend. Had I built the slipping 4l60e, I am sure it would have really been able to show what it was worth.

I can honestly say, those guys are obsessed with racing.

Its between them and FTI this monday as to whom I will choose. I got some mixed vibes/attitude from other sponsors when questioning why the spec'd a single for 850-900rwhp for lockup pulls in the 1/4.

PTC has great customer service---
Circle D does---
and so does FTI----

its really hard to go wrong with any of the three.

So does Jakes. Some of the best and most innovative aftermarket part manufacturers in the world are sponsors on this site no doubt.

Last edited by I8UR4RD; 12-02-2012 at 08:14 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:13 PM
FormerVendor

I had the pleasure of speaking with Greg at FTI in person today at the PRI show.

Those guys are definitely doing great things and we haven't done any business with them in the past but we will be in the very near future for some of our transmission parts that they have the manufacturing capability to produce quicker than we do.

I will also let the "cat out of the bag" a bit prematurely and say we will very likely be making our own converters in house in the near future at Jake's Performance.

We work with two excellent converter builders currently but sometimes the capability to do them in house would cut down on lead times and possibly cost.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:26 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Good info there.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:36 PM
9 Second Club

Cool Erl

Originally Posted by killerarmy
fti 3800 stall here.
Killer Army
is that motor runnin

Jakes level 5/ TCS converter getting ready to go in

Last edited by Speed Shifter; 12-01-2012 at 09:01 PM. Reason: finish post
Old 12-01-2012, 09:07 PM
Super Hulk Smash

I'm thinking the 3800 now too. When I was considering a bigger cam, Greg said 3800 all the way. I'd rather go bigger now if it drives close. Also, it's a great nitrous converter. Which is my next round of mods (built engine/trans/big shot).
Old 12-02-2012, 11:47 AM
Staging Lane

fti 4500 here. I couldn't be more in love with the convertor, it was everything i was hoping for and more. the car is a tt 383 th 400 setup. the car will creep foward at idle just like a normal car, it will even go up slight inclines. It can accelerate in third gear and keep up with traffic at 1800 rpm. When i go wot it hits like a train and the car takes off like it was shot out of a cannon. You can't go wrong with an fti, just let them know what your setup is and have them custom make it for your car.

On a side note I originally wanted to go with a yank ss 4000 and my builder didn't want to go in that direction. he said they only use fti and I can see why now.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:58 AM
Teching In

FTI 3800 here.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:25 PM
11 Second Club

FTI 5000 here, Greg built it with 8th mile nitrous pulls in mind, car will only see 5500 on the nitrous hit. Awesome converter
Old 12-02-2012, 04:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Loving my Circle D!
Old 12-04-2012, 09:06 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,109 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake's Performance
Yes. We have seen a few less than satisfactory converter builds from various vendors.

There are dozens of good converter companies in the industry, who are turning out product that is as advertised, works well, and I wouldn't hesitate to refer a customer to.

TCS, Hughes, PTC, Coan, Trans Specialties, Precision Industries, Pro-Torque to name just a few.

I have an issue with above converter because the whole story reeks of BS. Anybody with half a brain and a pulse should recognize that they are putting a billet cover triple disc on a converter, it's probably not for light duty usage. I doubt this one "slipped through" particularly after speaking with others in the industry.

I'm glad Josh is happy with it now. He never would have known it was substandard until it rolled the fins over had we not had to do a cut/clean.

I like to refer customers to smaller innovative businesses and if they are in Texas, that's even better. However this is one company we no longer recommend and have even considered not offering a warranty on our units when they are used.
I no longer own LS1Tech but these kinds of posts are not in the spirit of the site that I co-founded almost 12 years ago.

FWIW I ran five different brand converters when I ran 4th gens, and they were PI, Fuddle, Yank, PTC and ATI. Half of those were TH400 applications, but I had very good experiences with Yank for 4L60E applications. I'd consider trying Circle D and FTI based on friend's experiences.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:08 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
I no longer own LS1Tech but these kinds of posts are not in the spirit of the site that I co-founded almost 12 years ago.

FWIW I ran five different brand converters when I ran 4th gens, and they were PI, Fuddle, Yank, PTC and ATI. Half of those were TH400 applications, but I had very good experiences with Yank for 4L60E applications. I'd consider trying Circle D and FTI based on friend's experiences.
I started out simply making a recommendation based off my extensive experience in the industry.

I see the transmissions and converters from almost every vendor in the marketplace on some level. I often work with others in the industry either buying parts, referring customers, or selling them parts.

I referred the above customer to Circle-D for the above converter build. It was a fairly expensive converter, over $1300 as I recall.

To open up a converter from a supposedly respectable company and find it was not what the customer paid for is a slap in the face of not only the customer but to my company for referring the customer.

This converter is equivalent to me building a 4L80E with billet shafts, deep aluminum pan, and all the bells and whistles, and using a worn out pump and used clutches.

It may "work" but it's not what the customer paid for or what it was advertised to be.

If that is acceptable to you or others, that is your right. That isn't how I conduct business and I feel like the consumer has the right to know about the product they are buying.

Most people don't ever get to see the inside of the converter they buy.

I didn't start the post, I didn't state any names. I simply posted a picture of an expensive converter that wasn't as advertised and that's why I recommended going with FTI over any others mentioned.

I guess if it's any consolation, the above converter and company isn't the only one we've seen built without the advertised upgrades.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:31 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John

I agree PSJ. Thread has been hijacked to some degree. But I do welcome good solid information to help me and others choose how to spend our money.

The reason I posted about Yank, CircleD, and FTI is they seem to have really good offerings for street/strip 4L60E applications and are well-respected on the board. All are about the same price and have similar features/warranty. PI is another, but I know their converters run a little looser than advertised but tear it up at the track.

Quick Reply: Another one of those: Converter brand choice between CircleD, Yank, and FTI