Sponsored by:

Transmission Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 07:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Transmission Problems

I have a mostly bolt on car with 84,000 miles

I put a Yank SS3800 at about 25,000 miles and had the fluid changed at about 45,000 to 50,000

I haven't raced the car in years and even when I did it was at most 15 runs total.

Overall the car has run very good however I did notice in the winter the SS3800 does not lock up for several minutes after driving. As much as 10-15 minutes.

This winter though it seems the trans is performing very poorly. Over the 2 past weeks while driving it takes a lot more rpms to get the car moving and maintaining speed. I've also noticed while gliding down hill I will feel a rough down shift where the car jerks.

There were 2 particular situations which worried me.
A couple of days ago I reversed out of my parking spot and when I put the car in drive the car stumbled and I heard a clank sound from what sounded like just in front of the passenger seat under the car.

The other situation was yesterday I put the car in reverse and backed out of my spot. When I put the car in drive it stumbled again, the rpms went very low and the car shut down. Put the car back in park and tried starting it up again. The first attempt failed but the second attemp the car started up. The car threw a P0300 random misfire which I cleared out. The car ran fine from there except for the high rpms to get the car going and maintain speed.

After the 10-15 minutes of driving it runs better but not perfect and I stil notice the hard shifting when gliding down a hill.

Overall I baby the car, I never shift from reverse to drive while the car is rolling and certainly don't drive it like I stole it.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:45 AM
Launching!

It sounds like you have more of a engine problem then a trans issue. You need to take care of the misfire code first, that can cause the converter not to lock up and thats your stalling problem as well. The clunk could be your trans mount is broken
Old 12-28-2012, 08:56 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 72blownvert
It sounds like you have more of a engine problem then a trans issue. You need to take care of the misfire code first, that can cause the converter not to lock up and thats your stalling problem as well. The clunk could be your trans mount is broken
I cleared the misfire and it didn't come back.

Quick Reply: Transmission Problems