Sponsored by:

Cracked 4l80e bellhousing

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 11:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Cracked 4l80e bellhousing

Hello,

I recently pulled a 6.0/4L80e from an otherwise stock truck with the intention of putting the 4L80e in my Camaro. It's a 2wd 2005 Silverado 2500HD. While planning my attack, I saw several cracks in the bellhousing. After getting the transmission out, I noticed two of the ears had broken off. I have a TIG welder and plan to fix it, but I have several questions:

What would cause this on a completely stock truck? Nothing seemed out of the ordinary when driving the truck around...

I plan to put this behind a turbo 6.0 - is welding the bellhousing going to be an effective repair? I have been searching and see that some people have welded bellhousings, but none at this power level.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:11 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Why not just have an SFI bell installed.

IMO the welded case is as strong or stronger then the original, minus the heat fatigue on the metal. It's not exactly thick
Old 01-07-2013, 12:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DietCoke
Why not just have an SFI bell installed.

IMO the welded case is as strong or stronger then the original, minus the heat fatigue on the metal. It's not exactly thick
I was hoping to just slam a Transgo HD2 in it and see how long it lasts. I think the SFI bellhousings are a grand, plus shipping to Jakes. At that point it makes more sense just to order one of his transmissions. I'm really hoping to make this a budget deal for now.

I've heard the weld is stronger too, but I read online somewhere that aluminum is different.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will weld just fine and as long as you are a fairly decent tig welder it shouldnt be an issue. I always bolt another bell to them when I weld them so everything stays put. I use a removable one off a 4l60e it works well and is very light and easy to manage...
Old 01-07-2013, 06:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe tranny wasnt bolted tight enough.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:42 PM
On The Tree

I dont know what the cause is but I have seen that a whole bunch on the newer 80's that are bolted to the back of the 6.0L engines. I am not sure if its a corrosion issue or what. Maybe one of the 80 gurus will chime in and enlighten the "class"
Old 01-07-2013, 08:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put a Reid bell on it I get my adaptors for like 80$ including all bolts and then get a Reid bell and bolt it on problem sorted then do the transgo kit till it smokes then have it built up and you will have a killer box!
Old 01-08-2013, 08:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by carlsonauto
I dont know what the cause is but I have seen that a whole bunch on the newer 80's that are bolted to the back of the 6.0L engines. I am not sure if its a corrosion issue or what. Maybe one of the 80 gurus will chime in and enlighten the "class"
Samething happened to one of my cousins in his truck. One of the bolt in positions of the case cracked to where it wasnt bolted in from one of the bolt in positions. They started to feel vibrations soo they took it to a performance shop and ended up finding out the tranny was loose from all bolts lol
Old 01-09-2013, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the advice/comments. Great advice on bolting it to another bellhousing before welding so everything stays true. As for why this happened, I guess that will remain a mystery for now. It's nice to hear I'm not the only one this happened to though.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:35 PM
11 Second Club

my top bolt hole was broke just like that and we welded it three years ago,TransGo hd kit and its still working great!! I pulled the pan before winter and its clean no material in there at all.

Quick Reply: Cracked 4l80e bellhousing