Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A4 Hitting Rev Limit on 3rd gear before shifting

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A4 Hitting Rev Limit on 3rd gear before shifting

Car started to 'feel' a little different in shifting, not racing just getting on it a little bit. Tonite wanted to find out for sure: If I really stand on the gas, trans gets stuck in 2nd gear and hesitates going into 3rd. Tonite it Hit rev limiter a couple times (I know for sure cause it bounced a couple times on it before finally lazily shifting into 3rd).

Car is in financing stages of ported 243 heads, Fast 102/102 setup. Does any experienced LS1'er know if this sounds like a specific tranny or converter failure? Sorry, I'm not a mechanic by any means besides bolt ons.

I'm guessing converter is stock, tranny was rebuilt a few years ago right when I bought it and was a reason previous owner sold it. I have a very good shop local here, where I was going for heads/intake/tune. I just wanted a clue before I roll in there.

Thanks.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:55 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

A slipping converter will give these symptoms, but a combination of trans problems could give them too. Start by making sure you have enough fluid in the trans, and even try 1/2 quart over full.
Since you are going to a tuner anyway, you could ask them to reduce the "WOT Shift MPH" by 5%. That will solve the problem temporarily, but it will likely return when whatever the underlying problem is gets worse.
Running 415rwhp+ in a stock 12 year old 4L60E, you should start thinking about setting $2000 aside for a rebuilt performance trans from one of the sponsors and $400-$700 for a quality 3200 or 3600 stall converter. The converter will give you more bang for your money than any further engine mods.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mrvedit
A slipping converter will give these symptoms, but a combination of trans problems could give them too.

Running 415rwhp+ in a stock 12 year old 4L60E, you should start thinking about setting $2000 aside for a rebuilt performance trans from one of the sponsors and $400-$700 for a quality 3200 or 3600 stall converter. The converter will give you more bang for your money than any further engine mods.
thanks for the advice! I'm rethinking the whole heads/intake upgrade thing, in favor of exactly what you are saying. I can't let a crisis go to waste! I see MadDog transmissions has a good reputation and I could just put the whole thing to bed and be done with it, hold on for a year and start over with new money and new mods. thanks.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:19 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

I would recommend choosing between FLT, RPM, PerformaBuilt and (as of recently) Jake Performance. There certainly are passionate supporters of the first three, and you won't go wrong with any one of them. About $1600 plus shipping will get your started.
There are lots of threads here on preferred converters; again you won't go wrong with any of the sponsors here.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mrvedit
I would recommend choosing between FLT, RPM, PerformaBuilt and (as of recently) Jake Performance. There certainly are passionate supporters of the first three, and you won't go wrong with any one of them. About $1600 plus shipping will get your started.
There are lots of threads here on preferred converters; again you won't go wrong with any of the sponsors here.
awesome I will start there!

Quick Reply: A4 Hitting Rev Limit on 3rd gear before shifting