Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

700R4 Governor issue?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 06:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 700R4 Governor issue?

So here is what is going on with my transmission. I was driving my 93 c4 and it was shifting normal and had no problems. I shut the car off went into the store came back out went to drive and it would not shift until I reach high RPM's around like 3500 - 5000. My first thought was TV cable but when I checked it, it had not moved at all from when it was working ok. There is no slipping but it will not shift into overdrive and will not manually change gears like 1, 2, d unless it feels like it.. I am under the impression that it may be a stripped governor based on other posts I have read but I am not exactly sure what all the symptoms are of a bad one. I have also adjusted the TV cable every which way from sunday to no avail. If anyone has any idea what it might be or has been through this before PLEASE let me know!
Thanks a million!!
Old 03-19-2013, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesn't it have a vaccume line to the Trans like theturbo 350
That would keep out from shifting
Old 03-20-2013, 12:25 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds to me like a throttle valve may be stuck in its bore. Will it shift eventually if you continue to accelerate to say 5k rpm? The govenor controls the wide open shift points on the 700r4. The tv cable controls the normal up and downshifts
Old 03-20-2013, 10:19 PM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

If it will only shift at high rpm's, then most likely the governor gear or the valve inside the governor is stuck. Check out the governor and see.

Quick Reply: 700R4 Governor issue?