Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issue with shift lock control solenoid - can move out of park w/o brake pedal pressed

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 10:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Issue with shift lock control solenoid - can move out of park w/o brake pedal pressed

I'm wrapping up the M6 to A4 swap in my Camaro and noticed that I'm able to shift out of park without the brake pedal being pressed. I believe I had the solenoid wired properly and it shifted out of park before I ran any wires to it. I didn't know what the default behavior of the shift lock solenoid should be but when I've read of people having problems with them, it's been that they could not shift out of park so I assumed it would be "locked" until activated by the brake pedal switch.

Anybody got any ideas what might be wrong? As simple as the solenoid being bad?
Old 03-24-2013, 01:47 PM
TECH Resident

Anyone?
Old 03-24-2013, 02:39 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I can't tell you what's wrong, but a lot of people (including me) have had the problem that you describe. I think you understand its function correctly. Personally, I'd be glad without the thing. I don't see a need for it.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:02 PM
TECH Resident

Most of the problems I've read threads on have been with it not being able to shift out of pqrk, which is the opposite problem I am having. Maybe I need to look harder and the answer is out there.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:26 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

You may be concerned about not having the wiring right - if that's the case, I understand. My point is, if it works properly otherwise, I wouldn't care if the brake shiftlock thing didn't work.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:42 PM
TECH Resident

I believe I have the wiring right - I'm just trying to make the conversion as "factory" as possible and would prefer that the car can't be taken out of park without the brake pressed. I found a replacement solenoid on Amazon for $35 overnighted to my door so maybe I'll just spend the money and try replacing it.

I was mainly looking for affirmation that I wasn't "missing the obvious" with something and ordering a $35 part unnecessarily.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Issue with shift lock control solenoid - can move out of park w/o brake pedal pressed